Sign in to follow this  
OHIO

Any HVAC/R Guys?

I currently go to the University of Cincinnati, but am quickly realizing that this sort of school may not be for me.

I am just exploring my options right now and I have been looking into HVAC schools, such as the University of Northwestern Ohio.

Does anyone have a career in this sort of field?

How hard was it to find a job?

Basically any information from experience would be appreciated.

Been doing it for 15 years as a commercial refrigeration mechanic. Best advice I can give you is get into the service end of the business. Constuction and installation jobs fluctuate greatly depending on the economy. I worked for a non union shop for 12 years and currently work for a union shop, and have never been unemployed. Work is unpredictable and much of it depends on the weather. Spring and fall are normaly slow Summer busy and winter is in-between. Also there may be days when you work 4hrs and days you work 14hrs. Depending on your location, talent and experience you can make anywhere from 30k-100k a year, but don't expect to make big bucks right away.

PM me if you have any ???

There is money to be made if you run your own HVAC company, hiring others to do the work once you are established. Working for someone else will pay the bills, but there are a lot of unemployed HVAC guys, electricians, and trades guys out there competing for the jobs.

In south Florida where I live, the work involves a lot time spent in hot cramped attics, so you need to be in good shape. It is hot, hard work.

You probably should stick to college and study another subject that you are passionate about.

I worked in the business for a year following hurricane Andrew in 1992. Some others might have differing opinions.

Been doing it for 15 years as a commercial refrigeration mechanic. Best advice I can give you is get into the service end of the business. Constuction and installation jobs fluctuate greatly depending on the economy. I worked for a non union shop for 12 years and currently work for a union shop, and have never been unemployed. Work is unpredictable and much of it depends on the weather. Spring and fall are normaly slow Summer busy and winter is in-between. Also there may be days when you work 4hrs and days you work 14hrs. Depending on your location, talent and experience you can make anywhere from 30k-100k a year, but don't expect to make big bucks right away.

PM me if you have any ???

Great advice right there!

The few guys I know who own HVAC cos would tell you that they strive for 70% service and 30% construction business. The service end of their business is in commercial service contracts. If you want to get into the service end of it and the company does service commercial buildings, then be prepared for the 2:00 am service call.

Why not enroll in college and major in mechanical engineering and see if you can hook up with an HVAC contractor between semesters? You'll find out if it's something you really want to get into as far as working in the field or, upon completion of your degree you can go into an engineering firm or become a PM for a large mechanical contractor. You would at least have more options by going to college.

JMHO

Edit: Or if the HVAC trade doesn't work out, you can design fishing reels with your degree.  :D

There is money to be made if you run your own HVAC company, hiring others to do the work once you are established. Working for someone else will pay the bills, but there are a lot of unemployed HVAC guys, electricians, and trades guys out there competing for the jobs.

In south Florida where I live, the work involves a lot time spent in hot cramped attics, so you need to be in good shape. It is hot, hard work.

You probably should stick to college and study another subject that you are passionate about.

I worked in the business for a year following hurricane Andrew in 1992. Some others might have differing opinions.

I am majoring in business right now and if I were to transfer schools, I would not completely leave business out of the equation.

The school I am looking at offers degrees in business, so I would probably minor in business along with learning a trade.

You make some good points though and I don't have to make my decision right away, so I'll think about it.

Slonezp, I will come up with some questions and probably get back to you in the next couple of days.