Sign in to follow this  
5bass

PS 3

I asked my son what he wants for Christmas and one of the things he listed was a PS3, the kind that he can also play his PS2 games.

I'd like to start looking around for one but I'm not real sure exactly what I'm looking for and of course, I'd like to get the best bang for my buck. (Controllers included, maybe games included, etc...) I see they have a Slim PS3 and consoles with different MB's and such.

Any suggestions on which console to get? Any good deals online?

Thanks in advance for the help.

http://ps3finder.com/

Sony Playstation 3, it can play some but not all Playstation 1 and 2 games.

How old is he?

Go to Costco, or whatever equivalent is in your area, Sam's Club? They usually have great bundles available at great prices.

if he wants it to be backwards compatible it will have to be an older model. so it will probably be used.

A suggestion would be get the biggest hard-drive you can afford (or willing to spend for that matter).

I know before my xbox hung itself my hard-drive was darn near full, but iirc it was only a 16gb. I think PS3 standard hard-drive space is 30gb. I may be wrong though.

30 GB is plenty.

Smart kid though. PS3's double as a blu-ray player. Hi-Def movies are pretty great.

I think PS3's only come in 40G or 80G but I can't be sure.  I don't even know what my own is.  Anything above 20 or 30 should be plenty enough.  I can't imagine what you would need a 80G for.  I also never knew PS3's played PS2 games.  That is definitly news to me.

Always look on eBay for good deals.

The new PS3 slim comes in 160gb and 250gb and the do not play ps2 games. Only the 20gb, 60gb, and 80gb systems that were made in 06 and 07 play them. Once your kids plays the new games he won't care about the ps2 games, but he can download some ps2 games on the playstation network.

Good info so far fellas. I'm not buying anything used so getting one new that plays PS2 games is probably out of the question.

GTrombly....is downloading the PS2 games free?

They do have a few free games but most of the ones they have are like $5-$10, some more or less. You just download them to the ps3.

Also I recommend whenever you purchase one at make sure they have an extended warranty plan. You will have to pay extra for it but it comes in handy if it's needed.

Also if I remember correctly I think Gamestop offers extended warranty for used system also I think it's only for year and not sure of price. My buddy said he got it for his 360 when he bought that used.

My brother offered me his PS3 for $100 but my wife said PS3=Divorce. Trying to talk her into it. Used to have a little "addiction" to SOCOM.