Sign in to follow this  
Jigfishn10

Any electricians out there?

Gotta a quick question for an electrician.

I built a new room in my house for my 6 year old son. I fished a wire to the ceiling for a light fixture and roughed in for the switch on the new wall. I plan on getting power from an existing wall outlet near by. So here's my question:

I ran a new wire from the existing outlet to the light switch. Another wire from the switch to the ceiling fixture. All is just roughed (I'm taping the joints tomorrow). When I install the light fixture and switch, I'm assuming the black leads attach to the switch and I wire nut the white wires together. From there I make the connections to the fixture. Does that sound right? You don't make any connections with the white wires to the switch itself?

As long as it's newer wiring then yes youre correct. I have a few switches in my house that have the black (hot) and white (neutral) on the switch (technically it goes hot after it leaves the switch). Im not sure why they do it like that sometimes. I'm no electrician but my boss is (he is also my landlord ha) so I've been working on this house and he has been teaching me wiring. Look at another switch in your house to be sure, usually they are the same (usually!) ;)

Try this, it may be more clear: http://www.indepthinfo.com/wire-switch/

It's right unless you have a 3way switch.(switch that works in conjuction with another 3way switch to turn the fixtures on and off from more than 1 entranceway to the room) I imagine your sons room has only one entrance, but just checking.

Nate, Sounds like you have a 3way switch or a double pole switch which is used mostly in commercial applications. I've never seen it used for residential but people do wierd things.   

It's right unless you have a 3way switch.(switch that works in conjuction with another 3way switch to turn the fixtures on and off from more than 1 entranceway to the room) I imagine your sons room has only one entrance, but just checking.

Nate, Sounds like you have a 3way switch or a double pole switch which is used mostly in commercial applications. I've never seen it used for residential but people do wierd things.

Yes, just one switch controlling the fixture.

Nate thanks for the link and congrats on the blue name! I saw your post which put you over the top and got a nice chuckle out of that. ...well, maybe more that a chuckle.

Thank you both for your help. I'm planning on taping tomorrow, but If I needed to pull down some rock, I'd rather do that before instead of after...If you know what I mean. :)

Run 1 piece of cable (romex) to the ceiling light from the outlet.  Attach the the white wire from the outlet to the

light fixture.  Leave the black loose. Take another piece of cable and connect the black lead to the ceiling fixture and the white lead to the loose black lead from the outlet, with wire nut.  Then make a white connection and a black connection at the switch.  That way, you always know the hot lead at the ceiling fixture and the white/black connection indicates that it goes to the switch.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to hook up the switch and ceiling fan today. I ended up adding 2 more outlets and a switched dimmer instead of a regular switch. All is working great.

Thank you so much for your input and help!

I have another question about electrical coming up in about a week or so, so PLEASE help if you can.

Again, thank you very much.