Sign in to follow this  
tipptruck1

Any one use these tire?

I am looking at getting a new set of tires for summer. My current tires are running a little low on tread. I think I can get one more summer out of them. If I bought them this summer It would be just in case some thing happens.

The tires I am looking at are Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 and Michelin MichelinPilot Sport PS2. Both of them are pretty close in every thing they tested them in. They are also almost the same price.

The Michelin's have a better wet ride then the Bridgestones. Michelin's also have a little better ride comfort. To me that really don't matter. I drive with my window down almost all the time. As for comfort I have a low pro tire now with stiff shocks. So Yea I can deal with a stiff ride.

I have Bridgestone blizaks for winter. I feel in love with them last winter. It feels like I have awd with them on. Even my buddy's that drive my car during the winter love them. What I can figure out Bridgestone says it is a 205-45-17 tire and will fit a 6.5-7.5 wide rim. My stock tires are 205-50-17 and a 6 in wide rim. So why dose Bridgestone say these wont fit a 6 in wide rim?

I have only run a set of Michelin's and my grandma runs them also. My grandma has been running them for as long as I remember. They look like there brand new yet. Even on my car after like 5 years they looked brand new. I can't compare them to these tire though. Those tires were all season. The tires I am looking at are summer only tires.

So if any one has run these tires let me know. I want to know the good and bad of booth tires.

Michelin won me over 2 tires buys back. When I got a 60k set and they went 110k before the tread wore down to where they needed replacement. I have had 2 sets do that so far. They may have cost a it more but for longevity like that, I am willing to pay.

I highly recommended tirerack.com.

The prices are very competitive and even with the shipping you'll do very well. I have been a faithful customer for several years having purchased more sets of tires (and wheels) than I'm willing to admit to.

Even if you chose not to purchase from them, you may want to check out the thousands of reviews and individual tire ratings they provide. It can be a big help and you usually can find reviews that are specific to your vehicle (make, model and year)

Also, if your local tire retailer participates in "price matching" you may be able to bring him a print out of the specific tires you're looking for and they might match it right there. Good Luck.

:)

A-Jay

http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp

I was looking there. I looked at all the of the Bridgestone reviews. I also looked some of the 1000 reviews of the Michelin tires. To me They seem like 40,000-60,000 mile tires if taken care of.

I am weary of reviews on sites that are selling things I am looking at. For some reason I don't think all them reviews are from real people. That's why I asked here.

I've always been a bridgestone guy, I refuse to pay for the name Michelin. Unless you do some serious driving, no normal driver is going to notice the difference.

What made you never want to buy Michelin's Michelin's? I am guessing you had some sort of problem.

No no problems. I am avid track driver. Michelin's are like a brand name, it is like buying a BMW or Lexus. BMW is synonymous with luxury, as is Lexus but not as much as BMW. You pay more for the BMW name. Don't get me wrong BMW, Michelin's all great. But I rather not pay the "luxury" tax on them.

I feel like for the buck, Bridgestone's perform the same as the equivalent Michelin tire.

I bought Bridgestone RE01 which is a ultra high performance tire, most drivers say they get 10k-20k, I have over 30K on them and will probably get another 10. It all depends on how you drive on them and what sort of performance you want. And also how well you care for them, i.e. regular rotations, tire pressure. The RE11's you are interested are the new versions of my RE01. Great tire.

If you are looking for a high performance tire, there are definitely better alternatives to Michelin's, I have the same feeling towards Pirelli tires.

Ok thanks I was looking at the Pirelli's but stoped as soon as I saw the price. The cheapest I saw was 900 dollars for a set. I don't run on the track yet. But I plan on doing some autocross this summer. I would rather have some other tires for that though.

I would consider my self a normal driver at times. Then there are times were I find a windy road. Let me tell you this the boost gauge will hold at a steady 15psi on them roads. Yea I like to have fun from time to time on roads.

I mean if you want the best bang for the buck, just buy Falken tires. But they don't last very long.

You know you are not the first person I have heard that they don't last for long from. I might buy a set for auto crossing. But right now I am looking at a set of hoosier's for auto cross.

I was looking at the prices of Falken tires and I could get a set for as little as 400. They had some tires that maybe went up to 600 a set.

Here's my view I could spend 800 on the Bridgestone's and not have to buy again for 4-6 years if not a little longer. If the Falken tires only last a couple of summers why bother. It don't add up for me. Spend 800-1200 dollars on tires in four years, or buy the Bridgestone's once in the same time span.

I am not to tuff on my tires. Just once and a while I like to open it up and have fun. I do take care of my tires for the most part.

Yeah makes sense, especially during the winter you are running on Snow Tires anyways, so that is at least November - March right? So you are saving on wear.

No no problems. I am avid track driver. Michelin's are like a brand name, it is like buying a BMW or Lexus. BMW is synonymous with luxury, as is Lexus but not as much as BMW. You pay more for the BMW name. Don't get me wrong BMW, Michelin's all great. But I rather not pay the "luxury" tax on them.

I feel like for the buck, Bridgestone's perform the same as the equivalent Michelin tire.

I bought Bridgestone RE01 which is a ultra high performance tire, most drivers say they get 10k-20k, I have over 30K on them and will probably get another 10. It all depends on how you drive on them and what sort of performance you want. And also how well you care for them, i.e. regular rotations, tire pressure. The RE11's you are interested are the new versions of my RE01. Great tire.

If you are looking for a high performance tire, there are definitely better alternatives to Michelin's, I have the same feeling towards Pirelli tires.

Sorry Mr. Lee, being the son of a Michelin engineer i have to disagree. In my opinion there's nothing that compares to a Michelin. I have seen first hand the quality and detail that goes into a Michelin tire. It has that name brand and reputation for a reason and when it comes to tires you always get what you pay for. I'm not bashing Bridgestone but just don't see them being the quality of Michelin's. And yes i have owned both :)

Yea I just put on the snow tires the other day. I run them first snow to mid April. We have gotten a few snow storms in April. So I wait in till the highs are in the 40-50 before I take them off.

I also don't want to start a tire war. I know both of them are good. I have heard nothing really bad with both tires. The only problem I with Michelin's is back in 05. The f1 race at indy the tires were junk. ;D Just google 05 f1 indy tire problems.

Yea I know I wont be going 200 mph, or will I be putting the g forces on the tires they do. I will not let tires made for f1 racing effect me buying a brand.

Yea I just put on the snow tires the other day. I run them first snow to mid April. We have gotten a few snow storms in April. So I wait in till the highs are in the 40-50 before I take them off.

I also don't want to start a tire war. I know both of them are good. I have heard nothing really bad with both tires. The only problem I with Michelin's is back in 05. The f1 race at indy the tires were junk. ;D Just google 05 f1 indy tire problems.

Yea I know I wont be going 200 mph, or will I be putting the g forces on the tires they do. I will not let tires made for f1 racing effect me buying a brand.

Na they'll be no tire wars lol  ;D..I was just giving my opinion based on my experiences the same as Mr. Lee has done. ;)

I owned a set of Bridgestone Potenzas high performance tires in between sets of Michelins Pilot sports and can tell you that my Michelins were quieter ( no annoying hum towards end of tire life), lasted much longer, and performed equally as well.  That being said I switched to Toyo Proxes series and can tell you that they are on par with the Michelins and better than the Potenzas.  So give them a look you will be happy, autocross guys love them.

I was thinking about Toyo's yesterday. The only ones that will fit my car are the are the Proxes t1r. I haven't heard nothing bad about toyo tires in the past.

I was looking at my summer tires yesterday. By the looks of one tire I am going to get one more summer out of my tires. If your wondering why I have one bad tire. I don't even know why. I can only think of one thing. I have a feeling that it was the front right wheel. On right turns the wheels spins a bit in till the lsd kicks in.

Sorry Mr. Lee, being the son of a Michelin engineer i have to disagree. In my opinion there's nothing that compares to a Michelin. I have seen first hand the quality and detail that goes into a Michelin tire. It has that name brand and reputation for a reason and when it comes to tires you always get what you pay for. I'm not bashing Bridgestone but just don't see them being the quality of Michelin's. And yes i have owned both :)

As much as you think you don't have a bias, your opinion has to come with a little. :) Mr. Son of Michelin Engineer.

I was thinking about Toyo's yesterday. The only ones that will fit my car are the are the Proxes t1r. I haven't heard nothing bad about toyo tires in the past.

I was looking at my summer tires yesterday. By the looks of one tire I am going to get one more summer out of my tires. If your wondering why I have one bad tire. I don't even know why. I can only think of one thing. I have a feeling that it was the front right wheel. On right turns the wheels spins a bit in till the lsd kicks in.

Do you have an open diff? LSD and open diffs are different. If you have one worn tire, you don't have an LSD, or one that is wearing out.

Yea its a Quaife lsd. The right tire really only dose that when I have to make tight right hand turns. It also don't help that its the drive wheel. The same will happen with the left wheel from time to time. But I never have to make as sharp of turns left as I do right. Due to first gear having a lot of torque I take off from second a lot of time because of the wheel spin.

It also don't help the car has no turning radius. I am not kidding. I cant make a u turn unless I am in the far right lane when I start it. When I pull on a side road to take a leak it takes like a 5 pt turn to turn my car around on a two lane road. If I pull out I have to make sure both lanes of traffic are clear. I have to make wide turns.

It could also be I need a new wheel aliment. Last year when I had one done almost all the wheels were almost within tolerance. The right front was the one way off. Maybe the tire was bad before and I just don't remember. I also haven't hit any thing other then pot holes from time to time.

As for the lsd going out I don't think its that. I have no problem on ice, snow and rain so far. The rooster tail of snow and rain coming off the left wheel is as big as the right side. Yea I can see them driving. The rooster tails come to my side view mirrors. I don't notice the left munch unless I am in snow.

There are times when I first got the car I question the lsd going out. Taking off from first gear the the torque steer is bad. But I read unless a car has equal length axles its near impossible to get rid of it. You can see the axle's are two different length's when its on a lift. like I said First gear has a lot torque. If I do it in second gear I don't notice it at all. If I do take off in first it's not that munch. Its just a little.

I don't know much about the mechanical stuff, but I know how to drive.  When I ran my Maxima at autoX, I used Summitomos and Hancooks.  Decent boots that were tacky, and had a reasonable price/life.

I am running the Summitomos of some sort right now. I have liked them so far. There is only a few things I don't like about them. They take for ever to get some heat in them. The wet traction in the temps are any were from 40-60 sucks. Other then that there ok. I have only hydroplaned once with them. They do have good traction in the wet and dry.