Sign in to follow this  
WdyCrankbait

Anyone had any luck with certain job web sites?

Hey everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone has had luck with job web finding sites?  Say, like Monster, Career Builder, Hot Jobs, etc.  I was laid off about a month ago and figured I would post in here to get you guys/girls opinions. (This forum is pretty active.) Just wanted to get opinions to have an educated guess where to apply my efforts.

Thanks everyone,

It got me no where last year....I was laid off in 09' when the auto company plunged.  I was laid off for almost the entire 09'(Dec. 08-Nov. 09') year before i got my callback from my old job.I'm one of the lucky call back ones.

I think i must have filled out over 2000+ applications. The few that did call me were a bunch of B.S. where they were looking to hire like 3 people out of 900 applicate. Half of the time it was stuff where i didn't have experience in and they really weren't telling you what exactly the job was.No idea how they got my name because i written down every company and position i applied in and they weren't on my list.   

I had 3 promising calls for second interviews,when i showed up 30+ people were right behind me waiting for their turn. I had the experience,skills and years in and still got beat on getting hired. It was probably the most frustrated time in my life. I still have nightmares of getting laid off again still.

Your best bet is listen to your neighbors and friends. It almost the only way to get hired here still in MI. If you hear about something go apply in person,unless otherwise told of another way.That was one way i got in on one company,but I couldn't survive off what they wanted to pay me.I was getting paid more in unemployment so i had to turn them down. It almost turned out to be a big mistake that would cost me,but lucky i get a phone call 1 week later from my old job wanting me back.

I don't know how much this helps,but i will say good luck and keep your head above.I know jobs aren't easy to come by anymore.       

All I ever got off of those sites were calls to sell insurance or other randomly bogus jobs that will never amount to much.

I don't know what field you want to get into, but Dice.com is about the only decent site to look for jobs. They are all IT jobs though.

Have you tried the new Rolls Royce plant down in the Colonial Heights area?

What about grad school, but only if you can get two football season tickets for next year.  :D   :D   :D

Does VATech alumni have a job research site like LSU?

LSU places coonasses all the time so I thought VATech could help with the ****** Nation. Give it a try and see if they have a placement site.

Fish this Saturday as the cold front moves in for Sunday.  ;)

All I ever got off of those sites were calls to sell insurance or other randomly bogus jobs that will never amount to much.

I don't know what field you want to get into, but Dice.com is about the only decent site to look for jobs. They are all IT jobs though.

You might need to work on your resume. Most of the calls I get from recruiters, headhunters, and temp agencies are through Monster or Career Builder. Heck, I haven't bumped my resume on Monster in several months and I'm still getting calls. Got two calls yesterday afternoon, but as a full-time student I'm not looking for a full-time job.

I'm only interested in working weekends right now. ;)

To the OP: I don't what field you're in, but there are lots of specialized job sites where you can post your resume and if/when you get desperate...most temp agencies accept resumes/applications through their sites.

Good luck.

Yes, I forgot to mention indeed.com, but thanks for the remidner on that one.

Sam, yeah I am registered with the VT career connection stuff, nothing yet from them.  Oh well, I will keep trying.  I know there are plenty of engineering jobs, just hard to find one with work I have done before. 

It got me no where last year....I was laid off in 09' when the auto company plunged. I was laid off for almost the entire 09'(Dec. 08-Nov. 09') year before i got my callback from my old job.I'm one of the lucky call back ones.

I think i must have filled out over 2000+ applications. The few that did call me were a bunch of B.S. where they were looking to hire like 3 people out of 900 applicate. Half of the time it was stuff where i didn't have experience in and they really weren't telling you what exactly the job was.No idea how they got my name because i written down every company and position i applied in and they weren't on my list.

I had 3 promising calls for second interviews,when i showed up 30+ people were right behind me waiting for their turn. I had the experience,skills and years in and still got beat on getting hired. It was probably the most frustrated time in my life. I still have nightmares of getting laid off again still.

Your best bet is listen to your neighbors and friends. It almost the only way to get hired here still in MI. If you hear about something go apply in person,unless otherwise told of another way.That was one way i got in on one company,but I couldn't survive off what they wanted to pay me.I was getting paid more in unemployment so i had to turn them down. It almost turned out to be a big mistake that would cost me,but lucky i get a phone call 1 week later from my old job wanting me back.

I don't know how much this helps,but i will say good luck and keep your head above.I know jobs aren't easy to come by anymore.

Most of the better jobs are never posted on websites or classifieds because employers don't want to deal with a large amount of people of which only a tiny percentage may even be of interest to them. Connections, networking, whatever you want to call it is sometimes the only way in. I'm fortunate to be in a field where there is always an open door somewhere. We rarely advertise when an opening comes up, we can usually fill the spot by making a few phone calls.

I put my info in to my local workforce center.  Not long after I got a call from a temp service who got my info from the workforce center.  Got the interviews and all that.  Been with my company for over three years now.  Got full benefits plus profit sharing which I get next week. Plan to stay with them as long as they will keep me.  I also put in on all the sites you mentioned and never heard from anyone.  I also went to companies offices and dropped off resumes.

Good luck!

Cliff

I know a site where you are just about guaranteed a call back.

www.goarmy.com ;)

Cant do Military, have a heart issue.