Sign in to follow this  
done

Reminder for all of us

http://charlotte.news14.com/content/top_stories/637661/father-and-son-hurt-in-boating-accident

Luckily these two will be OK. However, pay attention to what the boat did AFTER they were thrown out. I can tell you for myself 75% of the time I forget to clip that engine cutoff to myself despite it having an easy to use lanyard.

We really need to use these things guys. This boat could have run them over, or someone else trying to rescue them. 

I don't understand why anyone would not use a kill switch.

I hate to admit it, but I've been lazy with the kill switch. I'm in SC and have been reminded all morning about how lucky they were. It's convinced me to make sure I prioritize those "small" details that can mean the difference between life and death.

I "force" myself to use the kill switch.  I use it to shut the engine off.  It does the same as the ignition switch, cuts power to the ignition system.  Then I turn off the key.

If I forget to clip it to the safety switch, the engine won't start.  It's really nothing more than a reminder for me.

The lanyard is always clipped to my belt until the boat is on the trailer.  Then it goes in a compartment, and the safety switch is in the off position.