Sign in to follow this  
hootersdoug

College Bass Fishing

How many members on BR would have been on, or hopefully earned a scholarship if bass fishing was one of the sports offered by their Alma Mater???  I went to school in the Florida panhandle (Pensacola) and would definately had to at least try to make the team if it had been offered at that time.  When you look at fishing as a sport, not only do you have to have the physical abililty to make the casts accurately, you also have to be able to choose the correct bait, area and cover or structure to make it all play out.  Then you have to "make" the fish cooperate on top of that. 

How many of you would have been the BMOC for thier school???

Doug, remember, for every male scholarship a college must offer a female scholarship.

This is why a college fishing team will not be giving out scholarships anytime soon.

As for making a fishing team in high school, probably for both salt and freshwater fishing.   :)

Don't all honors, prize money and awards revert to the school?...would this be just another money maker or a source for it's own support, with scholarships part of the package?

if I knew schools even had bass teams 12 years ago, i think my life would be a lot different now. I would've definitely tried to get on the team...

Im excited about the whole college bass fishing scene will be a freshman in the fall!  :)

I would think it is great to be able to win money for my school by fishing.  Hell, if we needed to start a women's team also, so be it.  I would be very fired up if I was going to a U now, if they didn't have a team, I sure as heck would be in the AD's office making them get sick of me until we had one.

Had College Bass Fishing been offered 50 years ago I would have a Doctorate in something.

Kelley