Sign in to follow this  
Big T

Persimmon Catfish

I was watching the Carilona Outdoor Journal on TV this morning, to windy to go fishing, anyways these two guys were fishing in small farm pond. They were catching Channel Catfish using persimmons for bait.  It seems that the pond had a persimmon tree overhangin the pond, every time a persimmon would fall off the tree these catfish would go into a feeding frenzy. Has anyone ever seen or heard of something like this

My friend used to tell me that when fishing it is important to have a look what is around. When he was fishing for Gourami, there was a big berry tree overhanging over the pond and the gourami were taking only these berries as bait.

I guess the fish are used to the environment and feed on what is around and readily availaible.

not really if you'll notice how prevelant the carp bite is when the mulberries are fallin' ;)

First time I ever saw a fish eat a berry.  Also the first time I tied a big fluffy round purple thing and called it a "fly",lol

I'll second that, LBH. Late May to July around here is mulberry season. We go find a tree and position the boat under it and then shake a bunch into the boat. Yeah, it's a little messy but fun. Then it's an ultra-lite spinning outfit with a single aberdeen hook and a mulberry. Oh what fun!

Dirk,

Got any Bubba-Gums? lmao

The first time I tied the mulberry fly, Dirk was eating a huge piece of purple bubbliscious.  Looked just like the fly when it was in a wad so that's what we named the fly, The Bubba Gum or A Bubbaliscious,  lol.