Sign in to follow this  
L-Train

Striper Fishing ???

Ok, the old lady and I are going camping this weekend on Lake Ouachita (AR).  I want to do some striper fishing b/c I've never been.  I don't want a guide, I would just like to give it a try.  I looked around on here and couldn't find anything.  So any tips or advice would be appreciated b/c i haven't the slightest clue.  

Man, that is a beautiful lake and there is an abundance of good fishing there, but without a guide it can be tough. Striper fishing isn't restrited to live bait, but this time of year catching usually is. Since that's not what you want to hear, this is my suggestion: Buy yourself a few Mann's 20+ and troll them out 100 yards or so from the bank in the coves and around points. The striper will be following suspending schools of shad in open water. This time of year they will not be relating to structure, just schools of baitfish.

Man, that is a beautiful lake and there is an abundance of good fishing there, but without a guide it can be tough. Striper fishing isn't restrited to live bait, but this time of year catching usually is. Since that's not what you want to hear, this is my suggestion: Buy yourself a few Mann's 20+ and troll them out 100 yards or so from the bank in the coves and around points. The striper will be following suspending schools of shad in open water. This time of year they will not be relating to structure, just schools of baitfish.

Thanks, I'll am going to give it a try.  Maybe I'll have some pictures come Monday morning.   8-)

try some chart. crank baits...my last outing i cought a 8 pounder...it was awesome

When RW says that during this time of the year the fish are relating to the bait and not the structure hes not kidding. The best bet is to talk to locals and get a chart of the lake and look for shoals and bluffs where the stripers will be able to drive the school against it. Then also just kind of look for areas of current. If there is a dam near by check there first. Oh Check out the know thy shad things by matt fly. The shad lead you to the stripes.