Sign in to follow this  
MskSlyr

Northwest Sturgeon fishing ?

This board has a tremendous amount of experience in many different species so I will throw this out there for some info. For the past couple of years I have toyed with going to the Columbia river for some White Sturgeon. Does anyone have any experience in this species and what can I expect as far as battle abilitiy on the sturgeon's part? I hear it is unlike anything else you can experience in freshwater.

I would have to direct you to a gentleman by the name of FishChris on the boards. I believe he knows a thing or twelve about catching that particular species of fish....

I fished for years off of the high bank below Bonneville Dam for Sturgeon, and caught a lot of them.  

My first question is: are you fishing from a bank or a boat?

Second question is;  What part of the Columbia River are you thinking of fishing?

Third question is:  If you are fishing from a boat are you hiring a guide?

The Columbia is not a river to mess with, if you do not know the river or have a big enough boat, you will be in a big hurt in a hurry.  I have witnessed and helped several people over the years get fished out, boat sunk, due to not knowing how much anchor rope to use, due to water flow, or any of several other issues, like barges, half submerged logs, etc...

Weather can be a factor as well.  This time of year, expect 30-45 degrees and lots of rain, freezing rain or snow.

If you plan on waiting till warm weather hits, you can fish in shorts and flip flops.

But, once you hook a monster in that current, you will never forget it.  You will also be hooked for life.

They fight hard, stick thier nose in the current and make you drag them up inch at a time.  Then run and strip 200 yrds of line off your reel, making you think they are heading back to saltwater.

I am not trying to discourage you with what I said in the first part of this, because it is something you will remember for years to come, just be careful, and do your homework.

Also, I hope if you are not using a guide you know someone up there that has the gear you need.  Fishing from the bank is an expensive proposition if you have to buy a 12-14 ft. rod and a very large reel.

Fish Chris can help out even more, and I am sure he will post as soon as he spots this thread.

Good Luck, and take lots of pictures.

Hey fishbear,

MskSlyr is actually trying to talk me into going out to with him in the spring. I can't remember where on the Columbia we're going (if he convinces me) but we are planning on hiring a guide. Sturgeon Frank, if my memory serves me right.

There is three of us hopefully that will be going and we will be using a local Portland guide. The guide has a great rep and all the equipment needed for this freshwater battle. I have slated for the first trip in May and see how things go, we just have to convince our senior citizen with said back problems.     The shear size seems to make him nervous.

Hey, I'mjust thinkin about saving my back for all the bass and BIG MOMMA (as long as you don't catch her first).!! And while I do have a couple of years on you Slayer, just remember I'm not the only one with back problems!  ;D

Remember, fishing from a boat, you can chase the fish if you have to,, so less strain on your back.  If you are going out of Portland, there are several really deep holes in the Columbia both eas and west of there that produce a lot of fish.  Good luck.  May is a really nice time of year out there, but be prepared for rain or sun,, it is the Pacific Northwest after all.. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)