Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

I love grubs!

Today i went back to the river, armed with 4" zoom fat albert grubs and 1/4oz, mushroom head jigheads. I went to my usual spot and on the very first cast, guess what? FISH ON! I didnt fight like a walleye, it was thrashing and running. It turns out to be a 27 inch STEELHEAD! Ever hear of catching stellies on grubs? Then, on my 3rd cast of the day, BAM! fish on! This time a walleye. It was only 14.5", half an icnch too short to keep. But around my 10-15th cast, yet another fish! And guess what, another steelhead! This time a 26 inch, gorgeous colored pink, silver, and green fish. I went about 30 minutes without a fish, and hooked into something giant. I was thinking "record walleye" After about 5 minutes, it turns out to be a 10-15 lb. carp. Grrrrr. Still fun, though. About 15 min. later another strong, heavy fish. And it turns out to be a 5-6lb. carp. And in another 10 minutes or less, i had yet another giant on, and yet another 10+lb. carp. Then i went the rest of the day fishless, but i lost a couple in the fight. I ended up catching these 6 fish in the first hour or so, all on a 4 inch chartruese curly tail grub. My two buddies both caught zero, it was one's first time ever fishing, and the other lost a couple. I think the reason was because they were jigging, not swiming the grubs.

That's awesome, one thing I've always enjoyed about fishing with a grub is that you never know what you might catch.

Went out again at night. I caught another small walleye, 14". And a bigger steelhead, this one was 32 inches. I lost a walleye that could have gone 6lbs. This was because i had trouble netting it in the dark and by myself. I also lost a gigantic "mystery fish". I hooked it and i couldnt gain an inch. I fought like a goliath walleye would. It just kind of sat there, but it was too heavy to move too much on my 6'6" medium power rod on 6 lb. line. It was just swimming, maybe gaining a foot on me ever 10 seconds. My drag sounded like "click........click.........click.............click" It was doing WHATEVER it wanted, i had no control. And apparently it wanted to get away because my hook popped out a couple minutes into the fight for absoloutley no reason. It was steadily swimming away, slowly as usuall, and i was not moving my rod, or reel at all, and all of a sudden, slack.  >:( >:( >:(Still had fun. I tried all sorts of lures (paddle tails, 3" grubs, ribworms) And EVERY SINGLE fish came on the fat albert+ 1/4oz. jighead combo.