Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

river fish (steelies and walleyes)

do you guys have any suggestions on how to fish lures in big (fairly fast) rivers for these things? Keep in mind im shore fishing. All i have been using are baits that i can drift. (wobble glows, spawn, jig and minnow) These are okay, but i was thinking about other baits, especially for walleyes. I know somebody who caught a 12 and 14 lb. walleye in this river, both on wobble glows. They are in there, i need help catching them..

I always had excellent luck with med. sized spinners with black chrome blades for Steelhead.... I also had good luck using salmon eggs or sand shrimp...  with a spin glow or corky in front of it.

I have caught both species of these fish on tube jigs in smaller inland lakes in Ontario. Hopping a tube should work in a river too. Just upgrade to a heavier jighead such as 3/8 or 1/2 oz. This is a picture of a 24.5" inland rainbow i caught in September on a tube jig.

post-3165-13016296888_thumb.jpg

Jig/magget or jig and minnow would work well...

I am not sure where you are from but people often catch steelhead and walleye at a river near me...

Pick them up with rapala floaters, and jig and minnows...

Might have a shot at a native muskie too!

There are a few muskies here, but i never heard of anybody catching one. I just know that the stock them downstate. Anyways, jigging lures, are kind of tough to use fishing from shore and in relativeley fast current in a 7-10ft. deep section of river. I have had good luck using floating rapalas on the salmon. I cast them, let them drift, and hold them in the current, the fish were killing them! But people from all over the COUNTRY come to this river. World renown steelhead fishing. The steelhead dont seem to like coming to the surface like the salmon do

Do you have a set of waders? Wading out in the current and working husky jerks or floating Rapalas in the current at dawn and dusk is deadly for walleyes on the Missouri River where I live. Another technique that we use a lot goes like this - hook a good sized sinker(depends on the current) on your line above a swivel snap, make sure the sinker slides up and down your line, then take a gum drop floater tied to about two feet of mono as a leader and attach that to your snap, put the pole in a rod holder with a bell on it and wait for a bite while your pitching jigs or casting cranks. We catch tons of walleyes doing this. Good Luck ;)