Sign in to follow this  
reelnmn

Fly fishing - n00b question

I have an old fly rod that needs the mainline replaced.  It is a 6 wt flyrod.  Should I match this with 6 wt line, or will the line depend on the target species?

I'll be fishing for trout up to 8-9lbs.  Thanks!

Flyrods are rated for the line weight, not fish size or weight.  A 6 wt. rod "should" (and I won't get into CCS data right now) cast 6wt. line best at "normal" distances.  ...lol  Clear as mud?  Until you really want to get into technical stuff, stick with the same wt. lines.  

Since fly lines are so expensive, you might try a cleaner and dressing before investing in the line, in case that's all you really need.  I think you can get the 3M cleaning pad and dressing for under $5.  And even if you end up replacing the line, the cleaner and dressing is regular maintenance so you will need it anyway after a little while.

I have several fly lines that are 4-5 years old and still shoot like new.

Thanks flechero!  This fly line is very old 10 years may be, has never been cleaned, and has a ton of memory.

Since it won't be used regularly I'll probably get the cheap fly line at Wal-mart.

oh and for anyone wanting to get into the sport of fly fishin i just ran by an ad from cabelas.... heres the link http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0029835&type=pod&cmCat=1213fish-email

i've always known st.croix to make a pretty good fly rod and for the price....ya cant beat it

p.s. i hope this isnt an illegal thing to do on the forum, if it is please let me know

...has a ton of memory.

All fly line will coil after sitting a while. (even overnight) What I do before making the first cast EVERY day it's used, even with new line, just strip off the fly line and pull between your hands with ~10 lbs or so of pressure and work your way though the end of the line, reel in and proceed to fish or cast.  Takes about a minute and will improve anyone's casting dramatically.  You'll see after 1 or 2 pulls like that, the line will be laying on the ground and not coiled up.

Thanks flechero!  This fly line is very old 10 years may be, has never been cleaned, and has a ton of memory.

Since it won't be used regularly I'll probably get the cheap fly line at Wal-mart.

Don't get the cheap line.  I've tried it and it is basically worthless.  Stick with the good stuff, like Rio Grande. ;D

Also try and give that old line a stretch.  I have fly lines that are going on 8yrs old this season, used only in saltwater.  Letting a good bit of line out(more than you can cast), and achoring the free end, give it a slow, steady stretch.  Takes alot of the memory out, or at least the major stuff.

If your line has deteriorated beyond use, you'll find out now, before you are on the water.