Sign in to follow this  
MarVaBC

Reservoir Stripers

I am a newbie to stripers.....how do you catch them in a reservoir?  It has rocky features 15-80 feet deep.  Haven't tried yet but just want to get some ideas of what I should do....troll?  jerkbait?  swimbaits?  topwater?  

I don't really know what they do, or their tendencys.....i guess they just school up and follow baitfish?  I am in the largemouth/smallmouth mentality, so help is appreciated.

Stripers in reservoirs.  One of my favorites :)

Trolling broken back Rapala's along the rock wall would be a good place to start.  Also keep your eyes open for diving birds - a sure sign that a school of baitfish has been corraled by stripers.  Approach the mellee and stop short, make long casts and you should be in business.  this type of situation calls for shad colored rattlertraps or hairraisers, which are my personal favorite.  I have found that casting hair raisers in this situation and allowing the lure to drp for a couple seconds before beginning the retrieve works best for bigger fish, since they tend to be a little lazier and hang out below picking off the injured baitfish that float down.  

Good luck!