Sign in to follow this  
bass109

freshwater drum fishing

I trying to fish for some freshwater drum, I know that jigs work on them. Do other lures work for catching them instead of just using live bait?

I've caught many on shad and crawdad colored crankbaits.

Falcon

Whenever I've caught them, it was while fishing for Crappie with minnows. Was in FLA the first of this month and got to go fishing for Red Fish. Caught a couple and told my friend that they sure looked like Drum and he said they were. Also said that in the winter they fished for Black Fish or Black Drum (I forget :-[) only fishing deeper. Is this a case of one man's trash being another man's treasure? No offense meant to those folks out there that like Drum ::)...

As Ever,

skillet

Black Drum are a relative two the Red Drum. They belong to the same family along with Spots and Croakers. Black Drum are actually very tasty fish as long as you get them when they are still juveniles, 15 pounds and under, when they get full grown and start loosing their black stripes they develop parasites. They are also srtong fish, we catch them hear in the lower Cape Fear river, as matter of fact the state record was caught in the lower part of the river near the mouth of the river. Also what is called a Blackfish here is actually a Bowfin. Each region has their won name for certain fish, no offense taken.