Sign in to follow this  
ewokmonsta720

Need help with musky

I need any and all information on Musky's. I plan on fishing the Connecticut River in the Hanover, NH region (upper valley). I've never fished for Musky before. I need to know the best times, baits, how to cook and clean, etc. Can anyone help me out?

Here on Lake St. Clair, we use:

1-large spinnerbaits

2-bucktails (in-line spinners)

3-Believers 6"-13"

4-Heddon Zara Mag Spook

5-Joe Bucher-Shallow Raider

6-Super Shad Raps

7-X-Rap Jointed Shad

There are many more, but these are the ones I use.

We typically fish for muskies from mid-morning to late afternoon.

As for cleaning and cooking them, they are not the best table fare. Plus you might get run out of town for killing them.  99.9% of muskie fishermen return them to fight again.

Hope this helps.

Falcon

As for cleaning and cooking them, they are not the best table fare. Plus you might get run out of town for killing them.  99.9% of muskie fishermen return them to fight again.

Hope this helps.

Falcon

Yeah, I've heard of guys getting death threats from other Musky fisherman for keeping a fish

As for cleaning and cooking them, they are not the best table fare. Plus you might get run out of town for killing them. 99.9% of muskie fishermen return them to fight again.

Hope this helps.

Falcon

Yeah, I've heard of guys getting death threats from other Musky fisherman for keeping a fish

THE MUSKY GODS WILL STRIKE YOU DOWN   ;)

...how to cook and clean...

What!?...You are joking right?  I've never heard of anyone eating a musky (plus you would be hung if you did so around here).  You might be better off fishing for Carp and eating them (from what I hear they aren't that bad) and no one will kill you for doing so.

Let me see if I can get bashed for this.........

Musky are a great tasting fish, a little boney, but do taste good. I only try to harvest 1 or two smaller ones (36-38") a year. I fillet them just like any other fish (just for the record, I don't eat bass  ;)  ). Grill them, bake them, cook them however you like. As for the bones, they're not small so you can easily pull them out after cooking. Remember, musky are in the same family as walleye. Glad I only fish for musky in MD and PA! Usually won't get hung for keeping one.

as far as musky lures meps has some great inline musky spinners you can use,also rapala tail dancers work well when trolling, as do x raps with a twitch,twitch,pause action. i haven't fished for musky since i was a kid when i lived in il. also musky can be taken with big bass shinersand the likes of such.

if i remember more i'll post it.

Let me see if I can get bashed for this.........

Musky are a great tasting fish, a little boney, but do taste good. I only try to harvest 1 or two smaller ones (36-38") a year. I fillet them just like any other fish (just for the record, I don't eat bass ;) ). Grill them, bake them, cook them however you like. As for the bones, they're not small so you can easily pull them out after cooking. Remember, musky are in the same family as walleye. Glad I only fish for musky in MD and PA! Usually won't get hung for keeping one.

I am still waiting for the Potomac invite.  I want to throw some big topwaters down there!!!!!  LOL

You gotta watch Basser89 there speedbead, the way he finds big muskies on the potomac he can demoralize even the most seasoned musky guy.  ::)

Thanks for the vote of confidence there MskSlyr! But let's remember, I'm still blanked for the year on muskies.   >:(   I was out on the Potomac on my b-day with no luck! For now SPEEDBEAD, I think you'd be better off inviting me along with you! LOL! MskSlyr and I have only put one musky on my boat this year.  :-?