Sign in to follow this  
Other.

Question About State Records

Alright so on the DNR website for my state under one of the fish it says "No current Record" Does this mean I can go out and catch any size of the

species and have my name in the records?

Edit - This is not a bass its a RedBreast Sunfish mods please move it to the right section if this is not it.

Basically yes, but in order to do so look at all of the paperwork involved and you will probably figure out why there is no record. I have the same thing in my state where over half the records are empty.

In Florida the species that do not have a record holder have an amount of weight that qualifies. I was looking at records and the record for blue tilapia had nobody, and the website said it must be over 10 pounds to qualify.

STATE AND WORLD RECORDS - State record is open; qualifying weight is 10 pounds.  The big catch program recognizes blue tilapia longer than 18 inches or heavier than 5 pounds (see state records for updates).

http://myfwc.com/fishing/Fishes/non-native.html

As already stated, when the line-class record is vacant, it either means that no certified catch has satisfied the minimum weight requirement or that particular species is unavailable in that state.

Years ago, I was friends with the original owner of Greenbrook Sporting Goods in New Jersey. Lou would select a fish species with a line-class vacancy then vacation in the most promising area of the United States. I don't know the actual number, but Lou held many world records.

Ain't that a Kool Hobby? 8-)

Roger