Sign in to follow this  
MakhuluBass

(S)trolling in comp's

In South Africa, applicable to some of our "money" and BASS affiliated competitions, we have a rule that states no trolling using the main motor is allowed.  To circumvent this ruling, a competitor made use of a auxillary 4 stroke motor as he prefers this method.  Due to a number of complaints from fellow anglers, this competitor makes use of two electric motors to (s)troll.  This is barely tolerated by organisers, and does not break any of the related rules.

This competitor normally trolls a crankbait at 2-3 mph 50ft behind his boat.

My questions relate to the above:

1) Is trolling permitted in money or BASS competitions in the States?

2) Is dragging a carolina rigged plastic along whilst under electric motor power viewed as trolling?

3) In your opinion, do anglers who troll have an advantage over the more conventional cast and retrieve methods.

This issue has caused some heated debate amongst our local bass angling fraternity and I would appreciate your opions.

here is a pretty standard paragraph from most tournaments

13. TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT: Only artificial lures may be used. No "live bait" or "prepared bait" will be permitted during official practice and competition, with the exception of pork strips, rinds, etc. Only one rod and reel combination may be used at one time. No fly rods or rods over 8 ft. are allowed. Trolling as a method of fishing is prohibited. All bass must be caught live and in a conventional sporting manner. All angling must be done from the boat and anglers must stay on tournament waters during tournament hours. Anglers are not permitted to leave the boat to land a fish or leave the boat to gain access to secluded waters. Boats must remain in tournament waters during tournament day/days. Competitors must leave and return to official checkpoint by boat. Both competitors must remain in boat at all times except in case of dire emergency. In such an emergency, competitors may be removed from their boat to: A BOAT OPERATED BY OTHER COMPETITORS, A RESCUE BOAT DESIGNATED BY THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR OR TO DISLODGE THEIR BOAT FROM A HAZZARD. Partners must remain together at all times, in sight of each other and each other's catch, under the conditions cited above, in order for their catch of that day to be scored in the tournament. Citizen band radios, marine radios and cellular phones are allowed in the boat for emergency use only. Any transmission of information via any communicative device concerning any aspect of fishing is prohibited during tournament hours.

The problem I see is the strict definition of trolling( does not matter how the boat is moving)

intransitive verb

1: to move around : ramble

2 a: to fish by trailing a lure or baited hook from a moving boat b: search, look <trolling for sponsors>; also : prowl

3: to sing or play in a jovial manner

4: to speak rapidly

Everyone has been guilty of "draggin" a worm behind boat from time to time.  And by the letter of the rules, you should be disqualified.  However if you look at the intent of the rules you are fine.

Your guy is not only trying to get around the letter of the rules, he is trying to cheat.  If it were my club he would have be removed by now.

As far as gaining an advantage, I don't think so, but it is against the rules.

here is a pretty standard paragraph from most tournaments

13. TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT: Only artificial lures may be used. No "live bait" or "prepared bait" will be permitted during official practice and competition, with the exception of pork strips, rinds, etc. Only one rod and reel combination may be used at one time. No fly rods or rods over 8 ft. are allowed. Trolling as a method of fishing is prohibited. All bass must be caught live and in a conventional sporting manner. All angling must be done from the boat and anglers must stay on tournament waters during tournament hours. Anglers are not permitted to leave the boat to land a fish or leave the boat to gain access to secluded waters. Boats must remain in tournament waters during tournament day/days. Competitors must leave and return to official checkpoint by boat. Both competitors must remain in boat at all times except in case of dire emergency. In such an emergency, competitors may be removed from their boat to: A BOAT OPERATED BY OTHER COMPETITORS, A RESCUE BOAT DESIGNATED BY THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR OR TO DISLODGE THEIR BOAT FROM A HAZZARD. Partners must remain together at all times, in sight of each other and each other's catch, under the conditions cited above, in order for their catch of that day to be scored in the tournament. Citizen band radios, marine radios and cellular phones are allowed in the boat for emergency use only. Any transmission of information via any communicative device concerning any aspect of fishing is prohibited during tournament hours.

The problem I see is the strict definition of trolling( does not matter how the boat is moving)

intransitive verb

1: to move around : ramble

2 a: to fish by trailing a lure or baited hook from a moving boat b: search, look <trolling for sponsors>; also : prowl

3: to sing or play in a jovial manner

4: to speak rapidly

Everyone has been guilty of "draggin" a worm behind boat from time to time. And by the letter of the rules, you should be disqualified. However if you look at the intent of the rules you are fine.

Your guy is not only trying to get around the letter of the rules, he is trying to cheat. If it were my club he would have be removed by now.

As far as gaining an advantage, I don't think so, but it is against the rules.

'nough said!  ;D lol

The rules we play by say, Trolling with big motor prohibited, what you do with the trolling motor is different.

So dragging a bait with trolling motor is not the same as combustion engine.

Strolling is using the trolling motor to get cranks down deeper and there are no rules against it here.

The rules we play by say, Trolling with big motor prohibited, what you do with the trolling motor is different.

So dragging a bait with trolling motor is not the same as combustion engine.

Strolling is using the trolling motor to get cranks down deeper and there are no rules against it here.

I don't know about you, but I think most of the guys on here and all the guys I fish against would see it as distasteful.  It's different for a rider to drag a tube behind the boat and fall asleep... but straight out using that as a technique is dirty

I don't think the guy cares what others think as long as he's cashing a check legally.   Neither do I.  

If I'm worried about Joe Smuckatelly, obviously i'm not giving my partner my best effort being concerned about someone else.

I worry about my game.      

I think Carolina rigging is the biggest gut rig out there.    I think you could protect bass by not using that method.     I don't call anyone distasteful for using it to cash a check.

That method harms more bass than any other artificial presentation.

But then again, I don't bed fish unless its a monster or tournament fishing.    This year, beds attacked.   ZERO!!!    So my passion for the green fish is not superficial.    And I'm out every weekend and Forks in my back yard.  

Not one of my double digits ever came from a bed.    So I don't worry about what others think as long as one is legal and state laws are observed.

I am really amazed that the topic hardly got anyone hot under the collar - over here we would have had a full on forum war.  Obviously this is not really as contentious an issue in the states.

Thanks for the input guys. Tight lines.... 8-)

Here is a question for you guys. Is it considered trolling if I am reeling continously but as slowly as humanly possible while the trolling motor is moving the boat forward and my lure is behind the boat?