Sign in to follow this  
burleytog

Well, just 192 days to go...

I wish they would go back to having the classic at the end of the season instead of in the winter.  They are limiting the possible locations by having it so early.

I wish they would go back to having the classic at the end of the season instead of in the winter. They are limiting the possible locations by having it so early.

I also would rather have the Classic be a tough event. I think that the pros should have to work a little harder to grind out a limit. Like the one on the Ohio river a couple years back. But that doesn't go over to well on t.v. It's all about the Benjamins.

I think that the pros should have to work a little harder to grind out a limit. Like the one on the Ohio river a couple years back.

C'mon, catchin' bait under a bridge doesn't cut it for a championship shootout.

Wow!

Four 12 oz "keepers" and a 18 oz "kicker"!

Man, that sucks.

I think that the pros should have to work a little harder to grind out a limit. Like the one on the Ohio river a couple years back.

C'mon, catchin' bait under a bridge doesn't cut it for a championship shootout.

Wow!

Four 12 oz "keepers" and a 18 oz "kicker"!

Man, that sucks.

RW, they can only catch what the rivers and lakes kick out. We've been over this before.  ;)

That's the point: BASS knew or should have know exactly what to expect. Heck, I came pretty close to the actual total weight and predicted the lowest total weight to ever be recorded. As a smallmouth river fisherman, I know a little bit about commercial rivers experiencing a drought in the middle of the summer!

Rick Clunn, just as one example, didn't catch a fish. Does that mean he can't fish or just can't compete anymore?  Challenging is one thing, impossibly slow is another. I admit I'm not a big fan, but for anyone else that might be casually interested in following the professional circuits, these types of events are a complete turn-off. (Kinda like NASCAR right now).

::)

20 -30 lb. weigh-ins are where its at not 5-10 lbs. Just like baseball , people pay to see a lot of home runs not singles. It's all about antcipation on seeing the long ball or the big stringer.

That's why I don't post too many pictures.

8-)

That's why I don't post too many pictures.

8-)

Come to think of it, you've had the same picture in your avatar since I joined BR a few years ago. ::)  I can't say anything.  If I caught enough to brag about I'd go out and buy a digital camera. :(

There are much better fish to be had in the Ohio river. The problem there was they were only allowed to lock through so far. The needed to be further up the Allegheny or further down the Ohio. My old club my dad still fishes with  was there 2 Sundays ago in the New Cumberland pool and it took 12# for first place. I am not saying the competition has to be a sssoooooooo slow but a little tougher. Supposedly these are the best bass fishermen right?

Supposedly these are the best bass fishermen right?

They are the best of the best that

- can afford to fish the Opens and qualify for the Elite Series

- can afford the $5,000 per tournament entry fee

- can acquire the best sponsors along the way

- can exhibit better than average fishing ability on different waters

- actually WANT to fish the Elite Tour

There are other Elite level bass anglers around but for whatever reason, they dont strive to compete on that level.

That Classic in Pittsburgh did suck but they caught what they could find. They practiced, they fished 3 full days, some of them shared baits, info and spots.....but they could only catch what the rivers kicked out. I'm sure more than one guy in that Classic was swinging for the fences after some big fish, it just didnt happen. I don't think it was from lack of knowledge, ability or effort though.

It is just a shame that the classic will only be in the south or maybe out west with it being at the start of the season.  As the elite just showed they can come up with good weights on lakes like Erie and Onieda.  I am sure there are plenty of good waters to have the classic in the fall.

Supposedly these are the best bass fishermen right?

They are the best of the best that

- can afford to fish the Opens and qualify for the Elite Series

- can afford the $5,000 per tournament entry fee

- can acquire the best sponsors along the way

- can exhibit better than average fishing ability on different waters

- actually WANT to fish the Elite Tour

X2   I agree 100%