Sign in to follow this  
Bass Dude

FLW--will it become stronger than BASS?

I saw there are rumors that FLW is going to pick up another big sponsor or two--one of them might be Cabela's.  It seems that FLW is moving ahead in these tough times, rather than moving behind or being stagnant like BASS.  With what seems like a better business plan,  I think in the long run FLW will become more and more the premier league.  Any thoughts?

I think because FLW gives the weekend warrior and club fisherman more of a chance to advance is why they are gaining popularity right now.  Plus when their show moves to Versus, more and more viewers will start to take notice.  BASS dropping co-anglers did not sit well with a bunch of people

The FLW has done a much better job reaching out to the nonfishing public...there was even and article about FLW and its fantasy fishing in the NY TIMES a few weeks ago.

BASS still has almost all of the heros of the sport though.

If FLW could lure Mark Zona away from BASS/ESPN it would be a wrap :P

How is BASS 'moving behind or being stagnant'??? :-?

I'm thinking more along the lines of sponsorship rather than the actual fishing part of it.  They don't seem to be adding any additional monies to the circuit.  Some of the sponsors renewed, but not many new ones came aboard.  It seems to me that FLW is gaining steam with the business aspect while maintaining a good place for the anglers, which I think in the long run will translate to a better circuit.  This may get some of the BASS stars to move over.  I'm not saying this will happen next year, but I think this is a possibility down the road.

I agree that the FLW is making strides and is gaining more popularity but it still has a long way to go before it approaches the status that BASS has achieved. Even with them moving to versus, they still won't have near that platform that BASS does with ESPN. I'm not saying that one day FLW won't eclipse BASS but I don't see that happening for a very long time if at all. I say this with absolutely no disrespect meant to the FLW guys but how many of you can name ten, even five FLW pros off the top of your head? I'm sure some guys here follow the FLW very closely and could spout off several names but for the average bass fishermen its still all about BASS.

When talking BASS vs FLW,    Big boys have had 6 tournaments to the 11 events BASS  held.     So Bass dropped 3 events and added 2 AOY tournies for those that qualify.    

Don't see where FLW even if they go to versus channel is doing anything different.   Purses didn't go up any.      

And the only BASS boys moving over there now would be the one who don't requalify,     It seems that some of the old BASSers have come back after a few season on FLW.    

No matter how you slice it in the public eye,   fishing on TV only appeals to a few individuals, no matter if it was NBC, CBS, or any other prime time TV station.        Theres just a few of us out there who care to watch bass fishing on TV.

I do think that the 2 trails are needed to push the envelope.    

What a great thread.  Everybody likes a pros and cons so maybe that is an easy way to break it down.

BASS: Pros

1) name brand recognition 2) Big hitters/Big Salesman (Van Dam, Clunn, Skeet, Horton, etc)  3.) More events and more prestigous

Cons:  1.) no co-anglers (what does that say about the future?) 2.) Part of ESPN (just another minor thing they do to all the "big time sports" 3.) no key boat sponsor, if skeeter pays, then they push skeeter...if triton pays then they push triton.

FLW Pros:

1.)  Make it easy to "climb the ladder" (bfl to stren to series to tour)2.)  Gotta admit that website navigation is better (target market of tournament anglers are usually your non computer folk)

3.)  Ranger Boats (IMO, a great product)

4.)  Most Americans support our troops (whether or not they support the war) and FLW does an awesome job of making sure everyone know they do (National Guard Sponsorships)

Cons

1.)  FLW gets the leftovers of BASS

2.)  Sometimes they try too hard (watching the weigh in via internet is kinda acquired)

3.)  Tournament strategy could be tweaked (BASS will fish Falcon or Amistad which brings in big bags, bigger crowds, more potential sales)

What it all boils down to is return on investment for these companies.  If these companies conduct market research that shows that either tour brings them more sales, they will move sponsorships.

Some of the big BASS names still hit the FLW opens. I remember when some fished BOTH, but BASS made a change in their format to fish 11 events, for AOY and make the Classic, so the pros had to choose sides.

Isn't there a rumor that ESPN is shopping BASS around to see if anyone is interested? It will only take a few key defections (KVD, Ike, Skeet, etc.)and better TV production for the power to shift heavily to the FLW. After all is said and done, it is about the MEN doing the fishing. That is why the BASS Weekend Series and BFLs aren't televised. No star power! Who would watch that? OK,OK,OK....I probably would but I have the sickness!  ;)

There needs to be an appeal to a larger audience even if within the bass fishing world. That appeal attracts sponsors. Sponsors who will be much more frugal with spending.....As soon as one of the series separates itself from the other in sponsorship viability the other is doomed. Even big bad BASS.

FLW brings that appeal by being much more accessible to the weekend angler.

For one thing BASS entry costs, even if you find a local federation chapter are absolutely ridiculous.

If I remember right it's $35/year to join FLW, and at least for me, have several BFL tournaments within 4 hours or less.