Sign in to follow this  
andamtoft

Rods as a Non Boater

I'm gonna fish tournaments this season for the first time, I will be fishing as a non boater. I know every boater has different rules, but i want to hear from some non-boaters even some boaters and see how many set ups you have been able to bring as a non boater?

You should bring as much as you need and I few more if you boater will let you.  I fish as a non boater and my boater has enough room to carry all of my setups which is about 7.  I don't think there will be a rule for limiting the number of rods a non boater can carry.  Like I said before it all goes back to the boater and how much he or she will let you carry. 8-)

It depends on the boater, and it isn't always about what the boater will allow.  there are some guys in my club that live and die by one type of water.  Some guys like to fish heavy slop, others like to fish deeper, open water.  I generally bring 6 rods.  No point bringing you're light spinning gear if your going to slopping it all day.

What club are you joining?

Difficult decision.

May I suggest bringing rods that can handle numerous presentations?

You will not have much room, even in a Ranger or a Bass Cat, for rods so go as few as possible.

Secret is to pack extra baitcasters and spinning reels to switch out as necessary and if you get a backlash or a bad line twist.

I take one baitcaster and two spinning rigs plus two baitcaster reels and two spinning reels.

Try to go as light as possible.  :)

Francho, I just joined Rochester Bassmasters

[movedhere] My Fishing Tournament or Outing [move by] five.bass.limit.

Francho, I just joined Rochester Bassmasters

Sorry to hear that....just kidding, there's some great fisherman in that club.  You'll definitely want to ask the boater before meeting up at the ramp.

I usually bring four unless my boater has a lot of room and hes ok with me bringing more. Bring versatile rods that will cover a lot of situations. A great piece of advice one of the mods posted (I can't remember who it was) is to always bring a rod that you can carolina rig with, that way no matter what your boater does to you you can still fish.

I only fish non-boater tournaments, and all you need is 5 rods. Anymore it is a hassle to deal with.

i agree with robby... just talk to your partner and see what he thinks first but if he doesn't restrict you then 5 would be a good number. Should cover  several situations without being overly crowding

i took 5 to my last tourney. pitching rod, spinnerbait, crankbait, finesse, shallow crankbait. which some rods have multiple uses. he also had a rodlocker for me to so i could have brought all mine. just depends on the boater.