Sign in to follow this  
William Wessels

What to keep and What not to keep.

So one more question. When it comes to tournaments do you just start off by trying to fill you limit with keeper fish? Or do you throw back smaller keepers in hopes of bigger ones? What are your guys stratagies if you dont mind.?

unless I have a limit, I would never throw back a small keeper, because nothing is for sure in fishing.  I normally try to catch a limit first (doesnt always happen) and than upgrade from there.  Depending on how the bite is on a certain day, I might stay in the same areas and upgrade or I might switch to different location to find bigger fish or just one kicker fish.

If the fish measures to be a keeper it goes in the box. I would in no way throw a keeper fish back unless it's culled out of the box. Like said above there is nothing certain in fishing.

Say 2nd place weighs in 4 fish 10.8oz, you weigh in 3 fish 10.4 oz, but you threw back a small just keeper that would have put you in 2nd, because you thought you would have caught a limit. Dude if it measures throw it in the box till it can be culled.

Most tournaments I fish are in the state of Texas so if you don't have a 20+ pound sack you aint even gonna be in the money and if you want to win it better a 25+ pound sack.

When having less than limit-5, and it's a keeper, throw it in the box.  One in the box is always better than one in the water.  Culling a small keeper fish is easier than trying to catch a big keeper.  

As the old saying goes, "A bird in hand is better than a bird in the bush."

If you have a piggy bank and you want to save $100 will you throw away your dollar bills because they aren't 20's?

If it helps your confidence to have fish in the livewell the by all means do it ;)

The reason for my statement is I know the lakes I fish; the level of competition I'm faced with and what is takes to place in the money. Three days prior to tournament day I can quickly evaluate seasonal patterns, weather conditions, and determine if I need to boat a fast 5 or go hawg hunting.

For the people that only fish for five bites a day, we take all we can get. Here 5 fish may only go 5 pounds. And that may just get you in the money. It's tough here, what we get is what we get