Sign in to follow this  
CODbasser

flw pros...some are cool..some are jerks

i had a tournament this past weekend at lake norman and the flw tour had a tournament at the same time...we talked to several of them on the water and alot of them were really great guys.. i dont know them by name but the pro in the national guard boat and the pro in the iams boat are really cool...they both talked to us for a min or two..asked if we were doin any good so on and so forth...on sunday which would have been the final day of their tx i guess...we were in a pocket fishing for a male that was prob 2 1/2 lb on the bed...the guy in the kellogs boat came back in to the pocket we were fishing and fished until he was a couple of docks away..my partner finally caught the bass we were on...about that time the pro started his motor and started pulling off...i turned around to wave at the guy and he just shook his head...like we were doing something wrong...I don't understand??? we where there before he ever even came in the pocket...he was fishing beds as well.. does he think just because hes fishing for more money that his fishing takes priority over ours and we should leave???what a jerk...and the flw weights were not impressive at all...if we had been fishing their tx we we would have made the cut to the top ten....kinda funny considering thats a lake neither of us has ever been on...sorry bout the ranting i just had to get that out lol...

Yeah i think there are jerks in just about every sport. I went to a baseball game and got derek jeters autograph and then tried to get alex Rodriguez and he was a complete dick.

You should read the post I made on the article sharing holes. Your right he was probably mad that you caught a fish he wanted to catch. Alot of pros do think everyone should stop fishing a lake when they do. But the best ones like KVD account for fishing pressure and adjust. As the stakes got higher attitudes have changed. I think its a sense of entitlement if a pro comes into a hole they get mad if someone is fishing it not in the tournament. But if somebody is fishing off the bank its all good. I would not pull in on a pro fishing but I wouldnt leave an area when one shows up either.

I am not getting on pros either attitudes have changed for alot of people. This spring we were crappie fishing and a bass fisherman was in the pocket I wanted to fish so we started up and idled to the next pocket. The bass fisherman was heading towards that pocket but was 200-300ft away. As we idled towards the pocket I could see him giving us a stare so I held up the minnow bucket. When he made it to the cove he was angry and said "so I guess crappie fisherman have right away" I tried to explain to him I knew we were not going to get in his way since we were fishing the middle of the cove and he was beating the bank but it didnt matter. He said we tried to jump in front of him when in fact he sitting on the brushpile we wanted to fish in the first cove so we didnt have much choice. I say treat others like you would expect to be treated and I dont worry about crappie fisherman fishing different water than me. Point is with lakes getting more crowded people arent nearly as curtious these days all around. Oh yeah latter that day the same guy ran by us about 40 ft away on full plane in a no wake area and smiled.  ::) But it was good because we got a good laugh out of the guy. Now thats are inside joke "so I guess crappie fisherman have rightaway" only we say that about anybody other than bass fisherman. ;D

i had a tournament this past weekend at lake norman and the flw tour had a tournament at the same time...we talked to several of them on the water and alot of them were really great guys.. i dont know them by name but the pro in the national guard boat and the pro in the iams boat are really cool...they both talked to us for a min or two..asked if we were doin any good so on and so forth...on sunday which would have been the final day of their tx i guess...we were in a pocket fishing for a male that was prob 2 1/2 lb on the bed...the guy in the kellogs boat came back in to the pocket we were fishing and fished until he was a couple of docks away..my partner finally caught the bass we were on...about that time the pro started his motor and started pulling off...i turned around to wave at the guy and he just shook his head...like we were doing something wrong...I don't understand??? we where there before he ever even came in the pocket...he was fishing beds as well.. does he think just because hes fishing for more money that his fishing takes priority over ours and we should leave???what a jerk...and the flw weights were not impressive at all...if we had been fishing their tx we we would have made the cut to the top ten....kinda funny considering thats a lake neither of us has ever been on...sorry bout the ranting i just had to get that out lol...

Are you saying that over the first 2 or 3 days of the event you could have caught enough fish to be in the top 10 on the FLW tour event and on a lake that you've never fished?

Your in the wrong line of work then ;)

Are you saying that over the first 2 or 3 days of the event you could have caught enough fish to be in the top 10 on the FLW tour event and on a lake that you've never fished?

I think the key word was "We". FLW tournaments are individual weight only. It's a whole other story when the money is paid and you idle by that checkout boat on the way out.

it would not have mattered...we caught all of the fish we ended up weighing off the bed...we took turns catching them...either of us could have caught any of the fish..we just thought it would be selfish if one of us hawged all the fun haha....go on the flw site and look at their weights...no big deal really...the thing is, alot of people are good enough to compete with the pros, but not everyone has the money or sponsers to do it...it takes alot of time and a fair amount of money...two things that i dont have enough of right now....between working full time and being a fulltime student, not much time is left for all of that.... love the story about "crappie fisherman have the right of way" lol....thats great...inside jokes are allways the best!! while that one guy was a jerk...the others where very friendly..i just dont want to give the impression that they are all jerks...because most of them are not....

Consider the source.  This is the guy who can beat Bill Dance and teach KVD how to fish a crankbait.   ::)

Yeah, and if I were 6'10" and shot the ball like Michael Jordan,

I'd be playing ball in the NBA. Coulda, woulda, shoulda if "and"

and "but" ruled the world!

Back on topic...Judging a guy based on one short encounter is often

a mistake. Nice guys aren't always "nice". As a group, it's the business

of professional anglers to be pleasant in public. Representing sponsors

is what pays the bills. Collecting a check once and awhile keeps them

in the game, but otherwise, that's the gravy not the meat and potatoes!

8-)

the guy in the kellogs boat came back in to the pocket we were fishing and fished until he was a couple of docks away..my partner finally caught the bass we were on...about that time the pro started his motor and started pulling off...i turned around to wave at the guy and he just shook his head...like we were doing something wrong...I don't understand???

Maybe he was just frustrated that someone else was fishing a spot that he hoped to fish.  He didn't say anything to you or do anything directly towards you so I don't see anything in your post that I would say makes him a jerk or even behaved slightly inappropriately.

he was fishing beds as well.. does he think just because hes fishing for more money that his fishing takes priority over ours and we should leave???what a jerk...

Jump to conclusions much?

and the flw weights were not impressive at all...if we had been fishing their tx we we would have made the cut to the top ten....kinda funny considering thats a lake neither of us has ever been on..

You seriously need to post more often.  The humor in your posts can't be beat!!!

why does everyone wanna be a buncha haters....who said anything about teaching kvd to fish a crankbait? grow up already...if you cant fish thats your problem...dont hate on me because i say what i think...if i get on you guys nerves just tell me and i will quit posting...just because someone is on tv does not mean they are gods gift to bass fishing...spend some time on the water around them and you will realize that...you dont know me...so dont judge me...

why does everyone wanna be a buncha haters....who said anything about teaching kvd to fish a crankbait? grow up already...if you cant fish thats your problem...dont hate on me because i say what i think...if i get on you guys nerves just tell me and i will quit posting...just because someone is on tv does not mean they are gods gift to bass fishing...spend some time on the water around them and you will realize that...you dont know me...so dont judge me...

Pump the brakes man, your initial posts just came off the wrong way. It's a big statement to come on here and say you could've made the top 10 in a Tour level event. If you truly feel that way, you really should try to get on the Tour, no kidding.

It stands to reason that if you can own Bill Dance on any public water, you are obviously capable of teaching Kevin VanDam the proper way to fish reaction baits.  Perhaps when you're done there you can show Denny Brauer how to fish a jig.

::)

im not claiming to be a pro...i never said i was good enough to be a pro...and by the way..i was comparing weights of fish my and my partner caught to that of the pros..thats it..believe what you want..bill dance is not a pro and kvd prob throws a crankbait more in a day than he does in a month of his fishing shows...kvd is at the top for a reason...i was just trying to let people know that these guys are just normal everyday people and they do the same thing we do on the water...they probably just do it a bit better because they have alot more practice/time on the water... and about the weights....its simple math....i dont have the time or resources to go pro....if i did i would try...im not sayin i would be able to make a career of it either...but if you look at the weights it takes to get a check on tour...i dont see what the big deal is..do the math...these guys arent super human...alot of people dont realize that you need to be a good speaker to get strong sponsors also...there is alot more to it than just the fishing..

i guess i should just say how great and superior the pros are to us lowly weekend anglers and admit that i will never be good enough to fish like them  ::)  

Just curious, wondering how many bass and what was your weight for the two days. You never did say.

BTY, I would like just your count and weight, not your partners. Saying you would have caught the other fish he caught is out of line. Way too many variables to count those chickens(Bass). So, let's hear it.

If it's not too much to ask, give us the total count and weight for the both of you. Better yet, post the weight slips for us all to see.

While you are at it, get a hold of yourself. If you feel you can do better, just go for it.

I'm still trying to figure out what this "pro" did that makes him a jerk?  

It's going to remain a mystery...

Good night Irene

-Kent  a.k.a. roadwarrior

Global Moderator