Sign in to follow this  
lovecranking

Here's the lake - what's your top 4 rod setups

I'm heading out to fish on a deep clear lake in southern Wisc. that has already turned. For the past 3 wks, the best set up for smallies has been fishing perch & med roaches with a split shot in 15' - 20' of water. Me, I hate using live bait. The largemouth have been at the docks. Now most of the docks have been pulled out for winter. I've been thinking about this rod set up: 1) Fat Ika. 2) LC Flat CB D-12. 3) LC LV-300S (no rattles) or LC Fat CB BDS3. 4) LC Pointer 100 DD or LC Slender Pointer 112 MR. What do you think? I plan on going no shallower than 15'. After a lake has turned, have the bigger bass already come shallow to load up for winter & are now going deep? What are your thoughts and rod set up for a lake like this?  

I would also try a hair jig, Gitzit and Ledgebuster Single Willow Blade Spinnerbait.

3 1/2 in gitzit in watermelon with copper flake on a 1/4oz jig head and fished so slow it HURTS... wait for it to feel mushy they aren't hitting too hard...

drop shot with a poor man goby, I also caught a nice on with a 4in redshad powerworm but that might have been me just getting lucky

if its cloudy that day I would go with a chartruse single willow blade and have a double willow blade as a back up,  if its clear I would have a "neutral" single blade and have a double willow blade as a back up

for the 4th setup I would go with a small jerk bait and let it pause like 30 seconds in between jerks...

this is what I WOULD tie on if I was going fishing... is it right? *shrug* don't hold me to it broh... that is why its called fishing and not catching...

GOOD LUCK THOUGH... let us know how it goes

What's the water temps in the lake you're fishing?  Your more north than I am, but here in Indiana, the fall fishing is getting hot on a few lakes.

I would start shallow looking for fish.  My weapon of choice for fall when searching for bass is a lipless crankbait.  My preference for clear water is a Lucky Craft LVRD7 - rattles, LV300N - silent or LV200 - one big knocker.

If the fish are deeper and suspending, I would then go with a suspending jerkbait to get to the desired depth.  Again, my first choice is a Lucky Craft Pointer or Staysee to match the depth I need to be at.

Last, I will fish a jig/trailer or a Carolina rigged plastic.

Between thoe four presentations, I have always scored in the fall.

Brad

one with a 4/0 EWG hook for senko or ika

one with an X-Rap

one with a 1/4oz finesse jig/plastic trailer

one with a single willow spinnerbait

That would do to start, knowing only what you gave me.

Brad, a guy on the lake today said the water temp was 48-50. I was surprised to hear that Lake Geneva turned a week ago. I was on Lake Geneva last week & the water temp was 51. I always thought the water temps had to be in the lower 40's when a lake turned.

I just read a great article on turnover.  Wind has a lot to do with turnover as it helps churn the water.  Combine several windy days, some cold rain perhaps and cooler water temps and you can get early turnover.

48-50 degree water can produce some great fishing.  It can be even better if the lake is already turned over and cleared up.  The fish should be readjusted to the new water conditions.

Brad

the water temp was 48-50.

Jerkbait or spinnerbait if fish are suspended

Jig or carolina rig if they're on the bottom

Thought I'd give all who gave good advice the results on Lake Geneva today. No fish, didn't mark many fish either. The water temp has dropped to 46-47 degrees. Also the weather report was right on...wind was projected to be 5-9 mph - it was actually 15-20 mph with white caps. When I hit the water @ 7am, air temp was 17 degrees with ice fforming on rod eyelets. Oh well, thanks again for all of the good input. IR.

1- Dropshot a Goby imitation for the deep fish- 6-6 ML spinning rod

2- a baitcasting set up with a silver buddy or sonar jigging spoon-7ft med casting rod

3- a tube rod, Texas rigged for the fish on the docks or slip in head for the deeper fish

4- a wacky rigged Senko type bait for the bass on the docks

since you said you aren't fishing any shallower than 15ft....

3-1/8oz hairjig-7ft ml spinning rod

4-slider worm-6-6 m spinning rod

forget your faster moving baits. If you can get a few bites on a crankbait or a spinnerbait you may be able to locate fish but since you went through turn over you will likley just be giving your cranking arm a workout.

why are you guys suggesting a single vs. a double willow blade?  what impacts this decision?  i always use double bladed spinnerbaits except for big single colorado blades at night or in muddy water but have no good reason for why i do this other than that i have always done it that way.

matt