Sign in to follow this  
AMSFishing

Going out to a bigger lake on Canoe

This will be my first time out on a canoe fishing.  I was wondering what I should keep an eye out for in terms of goods spots etc.  I have never been to the lake.  There will mostly be trout and bass.

The general answer is cover and structure. Specifically, fish the points and you will pick up a few fish.

8-)

The biggest trick to fishing out of a canoe is not the fishing, which is no different, but controling the canoe. The slightest breeze will blow you around. You have to anticipate the direction of your drift so that the breeze positions you where you want to be. If you're going to be doing a lot of canoe fishing, I'd recommend getting a drift sock.

Well, first time out there with the canoe.  Did not catch anything with a senko t-rigged, sinking minnow and Jig with minnow grub.  We were being blown everywhere since it was so windy today made it impossible to fish.  It was a great time though.

Drift sock I will look into that.  In terms of an anchor for a canoe is that possible?

In terms of an anchor for a canoe is that possible?

Be very careful, especially when retrieving the anchor.

Anchors have a tendency to sink john boats and canoes

in high seas and moving water.

RW's right to warn you to be careful. An anchor isn't going to do much for you in the wind, because canoes are so unstable and light. There are retractable outriggers you can buy to stabilize canoes, but they're not cheap, as I recall.

I would avoid using a canoe on a big lake on anything but the calmest days, unless you really know how to right a canoe from the water and get back into it. Canoes get blown around even more than kayaks.

Hey, I see you're from New Palz. I used to rock climb in the Gunks there.