Sign in to follow this  
J Francho

5/18 - Purgatory Bay

Got on the water today around 12:30. Water temps dipped a bit after the wind churned everything up yesterday. I had 58-61 depending where I was. Apparently it was pretty breezy in the morning, but I had gentle NNW breeze until dusk, when it shifted to W, about 5 mph.

The DEC boat was anchored at the outlet, doing a lake creel survey. I wish I was prepared to troll for browns, because there was a sick mudline out in the lake, and sure enough, guys were coming reporting limits in an hour or so!

I went to work with a vibration bait, same as yesterday, and stuck a nice 4# fish on the third or fourth cast. This fish hit the bait about three times on the way to the boat. I had another strike on the same spot a few casts later, but missed. I figured they were there, and it was time to slow down.

Well, things sure did slow down. Five hours, and just five fish in the 3-4 lb. range. Decent quality, but no monsters, and no numbers.

I did meet a couple of other guys prefishing for a TX. soon with the Good Old Boys club. Nice people, gave one guy some tips about the water.

After a snack on shore, and some time to enjoy the view, I set about finding a TW bite. None on. As the sun dipped below the trees, I quit fishing and started skipping a Senko tight to the shoreline, near trees and overhanging brush. Bam! There's fish in there! It kind of caught me off guard, since they weren't there at all earlier in the day.

I ended up getting 5 more fish in the last 30 minutes, though most were in the 2 lb class. There was one decent fish, that scaled up to be a little over 3.5.

No float planes were seen, and no photos were taken. Just a few fish have holes in their lips.

Hey man, go to bed!  This is what I look like right now :o . I'm toast.

Glad to hear you are getting some fishing in. BTW: Was it a sunny day?

Hey man, go to bed! This is what I look like right now :o . I'm toast.

Glad to hear you are getting some fishing in. BTW: Was it a sunny day?

I should have gone to bed, LOL.  Had to watch the replay of the Yankees game.  They're on a 6 game tear.

Ever since the T-storms Friday, a cold front brought near freezing nights and 60°'s daytime highs with really "high skies."  I love going out in the crisp air, but I'd rather it be overcast.  Poor fish were building beds, now I think they are confused.  Someone that speaks "bassese" needs to tell them they live near Rochester!

:D