Sign in to follow this  
Tim Ford

My Weekend on Lake Guntersville

I went to Lake Guntersville for the first time yesterday. I went with a guy that I met on an Alabama football forum. He caught 4 and I caught 5. Nearly all of the fish we caught were in the 2-4 pound range. We fished from 8 am- 1 pm.

I went back this morning with my wife and kids. We got there at about 6:30 am. We fished mostly on the main river channel ledge. We were fishing with RC 2.5 DD Lucky Craft crank baits in Chartreuse Perch and White Shad colors in 12-20 feet of water. Here is the big fish of our trip. My wife always catches the big one.

It's only about an hour and 15 minutes from my house. I have a feeling I'll be going there regularly from now on.

100_0553-1-1.jpg

Great fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you catch many more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dock Master.  We had a great time.  Guntersville is an awesome lake.  There are a million places that look awesome.  I've never seen so many bass boats in one place in my life!  We had a great day today.  We left @ about 11 am.  We caught 7 fish with about 3 and a half pound average.

That's Excellent Tim, and glad that your bass fishing is a family activity. Great example for all of us to follow and congratulations to you and your lovely wife...

Big O

www.ragetail.com.

You're a lucky man.

Great post, nice pic!

8-)

I went to Lake Guntersville for the first time yesterday. I went with a guy that I met on an Alabama football forum. He caught 4 and I caught 5. Nearly all of the fish we caught were in the 2-4 pound range. We fished from 8 am- 1 pm.

I went back this morning with my wife and kids. We got there at about 6:30 am. We fished mostly on the main river channel ledge. We were fishing with RC 2.5 DD Lucky Craft crank baits in Chartreuse Perch and White Shad colors in 12-20 feet of water. Here is the big fish of our trip. My wife always catches the big one.

It's only about an hour and 15 minutes from my house. I have a feeling I'll be going there regularly from now on.

100_0553-1-1.jpg

I fish Guntersville every weekend, its such an amazing bass lake. If you go again soon try a spinnerbait in the grass. When you get your spinnerbait back to the boat look and see if the shad are following it. If they are, you are in the right area and hold on. Right now you can pull up on just about any grass edge in the main channel and catch lots of fish.

Thanks ellesar!  I was fishing near Goosepond on the river channel.  Any other places you would recommend?

Thats actually not far from where I caught several of the fish in the other thread. Instead of throwing cranks on the ledges, I 'd focus more on the edges of the grass flats. This is especially true if TVA is pulling current. The ledges can hold bass when there is no current, but it can be hard to get them to bite a lot of the time. The ones that are roaming the grass flats and the edges of the grass are generally far more aggressive and likely to bite. I've had a lot more success fishing the grass edges than I have the ledges in the past couple of weeks. I know that everyone saw the Bassmaster guys throwing crankbaits like crazy and catching fish but the shad spawn is almost (if not totally) over and that bite is changing.

Topwater can be really good early in the morning, but its still hit or miss. Some mornings spooks and pop-r's tear them up, some mornings you can't get them to hit those for anything.  I usually start off with topwater's and spinnerbaits and see what they like. Once that bite slows down a bit, I move to some different grass flats either out in the main channel or on the edge of it and start throwing worms, senkos, and spinnerbaits. Usually one of those three will work in most anyplace I fish, but not always the same one. If I don't get fairly consistent bites with one of those three, I will move to a different place. Some days I hardly move at all, some days I do have to move around a bit to find some consistent bites. And ofcourse, the number of boats out there can play a factor in that too.

There is a good place across the main channel from Goosepond that is a good grass flat to start from. There are lots of good grass flats both upriver and down river from Goosepond. I usually launch out of a place close to there called Camp Maranatha.

Thanks a lot Ellesar!  That is some good info.  Saturday morning we actually started on a grass flat down river from goosepond on the left.  You may know what I'm talking about, but it was only 3-5 feet deep, and very thick with milfoil.  A very funny thing about the trip on Saturday that I forgot to mention:

When we first pulled up to the milfoil flat, the guy I was with said he was going to throw a fluke.  I decided I would try a rattle trap.  I only had three rods with me, but I brought some extra spools with braid on them.  I put on my braid spool while he was making the first casts of the trip.  When I got my strike king sexy shad red eyed rattle trap tied on, I cast as far as I could and within seconds I hooked the first fish.  (on my first cast ever at G-ville!!!!!)  I had the drag bottomed out with my 30 lb test power pro braid.  I got the fish about half way to the boat and it started taking drag!  I had never had a fish take drag on this rod before.  I was flipping out, I knew it had to be at least a 7 or 8 pounder.  My heart was pounding, I thought I was about to catch a monster.  When I finally got a glimpse of it I realized... It was a catfish  :'(

We still had a great day, but that broke my heart.  We didn't catch anything else there, and after about half an hour we tried another place before going to the channel ledge.  There were other boats around us, and I only saw a couple of guys catch anything there.  I figured we were too shallow.

Last time I went out with a guide he taught me a few things about Guntersville. One, the majority of bass live between 1 and 8 feet of water. And #2, if you aren't fishing grass, you won't find bass. Atleast, you have to be fishing close to grass.

My buddy and I were talking about it in our last tournament when some grass flats weren't producing the big fish we'd caught earlier. There are so many fish in the lake that you can find them all over the place. All those fish have to go somewhere. He was suprised the pattern I had been working earlier in the week was actually producing big fish because the pattern was very shallow. Theoretically the post-spawn fish should be heading out deeper, but the shad spawn had lots of them up shallow too. We ended up catch fish working docks and seawalls, which he was suprised would work that time of year.

That's the great thing about Guntesrsville right now, on any given day there is usually more than one or two patterns that will work. Some work better than others, but a lot of differnet things will catch you a lot of fish.  When you need 25-30lbs to win small wildcat tournaments you know the fishing is good!