Sign in to follow this  
J Francho

FCS Season Opener - Fairhaven, NY

I emailed a report in to roadwarrior, because I was too ashamed to post, but he talked me into posting it anyway.  To me it gets funnier every time I read it so here is the note, as written to Kent:

Fairhaven State Park, Little Sodus Bay

I can't even post this on BR, its soooo bad!  That, and I called in sick Friday, to prefish.  That comes back to haunt me in the tx.....

Prefished Friday.  Found a good frog bite, tricky beaver/creature bite involving seams formed by weed species and depth, and a trap pattern for post spawn smallies leaving the little bay to Lake Ontario.  I fished with Cam (Bassguy9 on NYBASS) and decided to leave the frog bit to him, and only hit the main beaver spot is needed.  My partner had ideas to fish the wind beaten west shoreline, so I knew that would take most of the time up anyway.  Cam and I set up the campsite, and mapped out our plans.  He also had a backup plan to hit the two ponds on either side of the main bay, but that depended on how rough the big lake was.

I told Cam, if he could come up with 15 lbs., he'd win.  He needed two 4+ fish, or a solid five 3 pounders.  Tx. day, my partner's boat had a dead cranking battery.  If I were a dick, I'd tell him to give me my money back, and jump in another boat since a few didn't have non boater partners.  I stuck with Jimmy, though - he's a good fisherman.  This is the second time that I've had a boat where jumping from the deep cycle didn't work.  I think these guys need to check conductivity of their cables, and make sure the darn thing is charged - JEEZ!!!  Ended up pulling the battery from the truck, and jumping from that.  Then we let the boat idle for about an hour.  Tough to pitch beavers in milfoil while the big motor is running.  Obviously, we didn't catch any fish while the motor was running.

Long story short, all my patterns from the day before bottomed out.  The fish were there, but we had to resort to shaky heads to catch them.  We got a 5 bass limit, but just 1 lb.+ dinks. I just could not upgrade.  None of my fish made it to the weigh in.  That really irritates me, as I have a reputation for generally supplying either the kicker, or two or three good upgrade bass of the five.  At Cayuga, last year all our fish were mine.

Somewhere toward the end of the day, I felt sick.  Not sure what the deal was, but I left a nice chum slick behind.  Probably bad karma from calling in.  Later I would find that sometime around then, I must have kicked my AVC70MHF and Black Widow overboard.  I have no idea where or when I did it.  Nice, add another $250 to my expenses.  More actually, I just spooled it with fresh Power Pro.

We ended up with a pitiful final weight, something like 7-14.  It wasn't that bad, two boats had nothing, and we were one of only 4 boats that caught 5.  I think we were in 5th or 6th.

Now Cam, well....with ten minutes left, he made a run to the pond.  Pulls up, tosses his beaver, and sticks a 4-14!  That put him around 15 lbs., which took the win and that big bass won lunker.  His partner had never fished in a tx. before, and needless to say, he had a blast.  I'm proud of Cam - it was his 19th birthday, and he won his 1st Tx.  The kid is good.

So, I had a miserable time, lost a rod, and didn't weigh in a single fish.  For Father's Day, the family and I were going to Bass Pro Shops for the day, so I knew I might have a little fun....

I replaced that rod, which I always felt was too heavy for what I was doing, worms and small jigs, with a LTBC70MF "Teaser" rod.  I almost put a Chronarch on it, LOL.   But they didn't have a lefty, so I settled for a Zillion burner.  Also picked up 10 packages of the Big Anacondas - they better work brutha!  They really are a sexy worm, if there's such a thing!

Black Lake, next week.  Redemption!

Hope your Father's Day was less expensive, LOL!

At least you have a smile on your face and can laugh it off. After all it's fishing and sounds like a real adventure that you'll remember. Congratulations to Cam

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Thanks man.  In some small part, you actually made my week a little better  ;)

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1245693683/0#0

Good luck on the Bass Factory next weekend 8-)

Good luck on the Bass Factory next weekend 8-)

Thanks dude.  Its a factory, with a 15" minimum there are plenty of 14.9" fish there for me  :D