Sign in to follow this  
Paul Benner

Found a new hole, need advice.

Guys and gals,

This last Saturday I spent the morning tooling around a large pond in this area.  The bass fishing was slow, but the morning was overcast and it had rained the night before.  Between three people we caught 20+ bass in a couple of hours, and I lost the biggest bass I've ever seen this far north within eye shot of the boat.  

I've never personally fished a pond with this layout.  There are large patches of lilly pads and not alot of open water.  There are live plants across the entire bottom.  I'm not sure on depth, but it is more then 9ft as that was the longest tester that we had to attempt to touch at all points.

There appears to be a strong bluegill population as well as some perch in the body of water.  Everything we caught was on a slow fished rubber worm with the exception of the one that got away and it was on a perch colored rapala 3-5' diver 2.5"

Anyone else have a pond similar to this that they'd shape some tips or tricks?  I have a feeling that this may be a trophy fish holding pond, I'd like to get in there and see one, haha!

Thanks,

Paul

Try pitching a black or black/blue 3/8-1/2 oz. jig into the pads. You should get the "big bite" you're looking for. Other than that, you can always use the good ol' 10-12 in. black power worm (Dink whisperer will agree ;D)

drag a senko across the tops of the pads and let it fall to the bottom at the edges.  This calls the bass to the edges.  Sometimes bigger fish will want it on the bottom for a while.

take a rage toad and put it right in the slop if that dont work try a manns jelly worm in 9 inch purple and twitch it anywhere

Spro poppin frog or the regular bronzeye frog. Fishing right through the lily pads.

i fish a pond with a lot of vegetation on the bottom and my best luck has been on plastic worms. spinnerbaits work well but you have to keep them out of the grass on the bottom of the pond.

Rig something up with heavier line, drag a rage tail shad or zoom ultravibe speed craw through those pads. Natural colors.

P.S. Nice title, that cracked me up!

I'd throw a rage tail shad or toad in those pads, or a spro bronzeye frog.

(title cracked me up too, sounds like you're asking for medical advice)

I fish a small local pond that sounds very similar to what you describe, and I have unlocked it's magic by doing exactly what someone else just suggested with the Senko, except I substitute the Senko for a Rage Tail Anaconda Texas Rigged weightless. Hit the heavy pads, drag it along to a hole, or the edge, and just let it go down. Seems the bass can't ignore it that way.

I had Senkos with me, but I was dropping them at the edges, I'll have to drag them through the pads this time before dropping them on the edge.

As to the jigging, should I go jig + trailer, or jig alone?  And I assume a weedless jib would be best.  Fish this in the same manner?

Let me know,

Paul