Sign in to follow this  
burleytog

2009 Dinkmaster Trail Bark Camp Brawl

The 2009 Dinkmasters Bark Camp Brawl was held this morning on picturesque Bark Camp Lake in SW VA. We had five boats and nine people fishing.

Limit is five fish, keepers have to be outside the 11-14" slot.

We 'blasted' this morning a little after six. Being a part of a five boat trolling motor blast off is quite exhilarating that early in the morning. I think a couple of the boats almost capsized due to the wake from the Minn Kota's.

The fishing started off slow, but got pretty good as the day warmed.

Our first couple were in the slot, but we soon came through with one keeper. Then another, then another. Tedious fishing, but those that did bite were inhaling the bait.

09dinkmaster1.jpg

Nice slot pig

09dinkmaster2.jpg

By 10 we had three keepers in the boat (would have been five had I known we were going to fan the tail rather than pinch). The pressure was on and we were running the same spot where we had had luck earlier in the morning.

As the wind pushed the boat down the bank, I tossed my bait near a partially submerged log and kept an eye on the line. Less than two seconds later I saw the line start moving closer to the log. I set the hook and instantly the fish was in the tree. I horsed him out and got it in the boat for the fourth keeper. Looked like I wasn't the first thing that tried to catch him.

09dinkmaster5.jpg

We hit two or three more spots, but couldn't manage that elusive fifth keeper. But four good 10.5" fish were safe in the livewell.

After everyone loaded their boat, it was time for the weigh-in. Based on last year's catch, I had a good feeling about our chances. 14"+ fish in this lake are hard to come by.

09dinkmaster3.jpg

09dinkmaster4.jpg

As each team weighed their fish, the pressure began to build. 1.81 lbs. was in the hot seat. And then it was our turn to weigh.

Unfortunately, the fish pictured above didn't live to see his moment of glory. That dead fish resulted in a penalty of half it's weight, or 0.24 lbs. Things weren't looking good.

Then the clouds cleared and the sun started shining. ;)

09dinkmaster6.jpg

With the 0.24 lb. penalty, our weight was 1.87 lbs. with one more bag to weigh.

I was a ball of nerves as winning a Dinkmasters tournament is a high honor. My stomach was in knots as I saw each fish go into the other guy's bag.

The first fish out of his bag almost made my heart sink. That is until it was measured and found to be about 1/8" too long. :o

As the rest of his fish went on the scale, I knew we had enough to win. He ended up with 1.38 lbs. and fourth place. Guess my old boat is bad luck after all (he was fishing out of my old boat). ;) Or my new boat is good luck. 8-)

So with that, I give you the 2009 Dinkmasters Tournament Trail Bark Camp Brawl Champions!

09dinkmaster7.jpg

09dinkmaster8.jpg

Receiving our trophies from last year's champs.

09dinkmaster9.jpg

Eat your heart out KVD! :D

09dinkmaster10.jpg

We had planned on having a cookout after the weigh-in, but some sorry SOB decided to steal our charcoal and cooler. One of the non-fishing guests placed the stuff on a picnic table to hold the site, then walked about 40 yards down to the lake to catch a few panfish. When he returned about 45 minutes later, everything was gone.

So with no way to cook the burgers and dogs and with no one wanting to eat a raw burger, we parted ways, everyone dreaming of being the 2010 Dinkmaster Champion.ink

The "everyone dreaming of being the 2010 Dinkmasters Champion" part is hilarious. I had a good time, even without the food. We'll have to start talking about the next one soon. Untill then, congrats burley, Master of Dinks.

A dink tournament? How could you NOT win a dink tournament? That thing was over before it got started. Suckers!

What are you going to do with the $100,000?

I bought dinner at Long John Silver's and the rest will pay for my gas to get to the lake next week. ;D

That thing was over before it got started. Suckers!

One would think so, but I didn't even catch a fish last year.

Buy some more charcoal and a replacement cooler...

WOO HOO!!  First tourney in the new boat and walks away with a win.

Just be glad I couldn't make it down.   ;)

Good stuff Burley, sounds like it was a great time for everyone....The trolling motor blastoff was a nice touch   like to have that on film  ;D

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Man keep that up and i will have to give you my screen name, LOL!!!!!

CONGRATS

Burley-

When it comes to dinks, "You Da Man!!!"

Great story. Have you been hanging around with Barone?

Gotta say I'm liken' th 'stache dude.

Not in a gay way either.  ;D