Sign in to follow this  
Fishhook12

So frustrated!!

Ok so there are these ponds I fish and I get a few small 8-12 inchers every time I go, and when I get on a big lake with alot more bigger fish and less tiny ones, I get skunked. I dont know what my problem is, I Read books on bass fishing, watch fishing shows and read the fishing tips on this site all the time, but i can never catch fish at big lakes or big fish at small ponds. do you guys have any advice?

Thanks for the help.

I was in your same situation. The only person who can solve your problem is yourself. When you go fishing, you must dedicate all of your concentration to fishing. Don't have any distractions like music or other noise. Seriously, you must concentrate.

Take 3 baits with you: a spinner bait, crank bait, and 1 lure of choice with you. Use The spinner bait and crank bait to locate the fish. After you have located them, fish the area with the one lure that you brought. You will teach yourself how to fish the bait that you have selected. Also, you will get better at your crank baiting and spinner baiting.

Do this with all of your baits to understand how they work. If you focus on one bait I guarantee you will learn how to fish it correctly.

Remember, give each of your baits time. The only weaknesses of the fisherman is their lack of knowledge about a bait and having so many baits in which you have no idea how to use.

One last piece of advice...... SLOW DOWN!

Good luck.

Keep fishing and keep reading. Try to study what others in your area are catching the bigger fish on and where, then follow their lead. Don't be in a hurry and relax so that you can pay close attention to the details.

Folks who consistantly catch bigger fish will usually leave a small fish bite quickly to locate larger fish even if it means that they don't get another bite. For some this is easy to do and accept, but not so for everyone.....

Big O

www.ragetail.com

just a thought, I find my self doing this all the time. I think I am a victim of too much information. I read constantly, I watch videos I play with my tackle obsessivly so. when I get out to fish I have so many ideas and things to try that I switch lures, spots, speeds and I finally have to make my self take a breath, stop fishing and just look around and come up with a solid game plan.

Remember, give each of your baits time. The only weaknesses of the fisherman is their lack of knowledge about a bait and having so many baits in which you have no idea how to use.

One last piece of advice...... SLOW DOWN!

This is excellent advice.  Im going to put it to immediate use, as I have the same trouble at times as Arashi.  When Im not getting strikes, I get horribly impatient and start ripping through the tackle box to find something else as opposed to learning fish the bait properly.  I can pretty much gaurantee that Im still going to struggle with the patience thing though.

I'd look for fishing reports about the lakes you are fishing. They can contain a wealth of information about what is working and what isn't. Also, going on a guide trip can be extremely valuable in learning where the bigger fish are and how to get to them. The problem I have with telling you to use a certain bait is that it's very dependent on the water you are fishing. Bringing a spinnerbait during the heat of the summer on Lake Guntersville isn't going to get you very far. You have to fish the grass and a spinnerbait isn't going to catch you a lot of fish, and most definately not anything very big (outside of random chance).

One of the biggest hurdles I had with finding the big onese on Guntersville is that it doesn't fish the way I used to consider traditional bass fishing. I see people making the same mistakes I made every time I go out. It took going out with some guys that knew how to fish Guntersville and a guide trip or two to really learn how to approach fishing there. If I hadnt done that, I'd rarely catch anything over 5 lbs, because the approaches I were using were way off.

Thanks Guys so much. And I Think one of my biggest problems is locating the fish. What stuff should I look for in a spot?

I feel your pain man. I went from my a small farm pond which was like fishing in a barrel to Lake Wylie in NC/SC which is HUGE. Where the pond I was used to had 3 or 4 good spots, Lake Wylie had 300 or 400 just within a mile of the launch.

First of all, the spots at the ponds you found fish, remember the characteristics of those spots. Why were they good? Find similar spots on your new lake to start with.  On my farm pond the Bass were big on one side of the pond that was the first to see shade, it had a deep drop off, good amount of fallen trees and sticks. The first bass I got out of Wylie I found in a cove, fishing the shaded side, I did not have a graph but by pitching some jigs I got a good feel of the bottom and I saw it had the same type of drop-off.

Watch others. Where are they going? How and what are they throwing? If you have a boat and a fish finder go out to their spots (after they have gone) and get a good look at what characteristics make up those spots.

Find other spots with similar characteristics. While in a pond you can cover the whole thing in a single day easily in a lot of cases. In a larger body of water that is not the case. Focus on what you can cover for the day and work with it. It may take you a few trips to start to get to know the lake. I have been hitting Wylie for about a year and I am now really just getting a good set of holes to hit.

Keep in mind, in a larger body of water you may see a greater shift in behavior during specific seasons. In the pond I hit the fish pretty much kept to the same patterns all seasons except spring when they were bedding. In Wylie, I have seen drastic changes in where they are in the seasons.

So in a long winded way, I would repeat what the others here have said, be patient, pay attention, methodically find your pattern.