Sign in to follow this  
RM_Bassman14

Do you need to change your lure??

Say you have been fishing a certain spot for a good amount of time and caught a few fish, do i need to change my lure? do the fish get tired of it and maybe learn not to bite it? or say that i'm fishing a pond on a pretty regular basis, are the fish smart enough to relize that last time they big that worm they got cuaght or do they not care? main question.  how often should i change up my lure?

Bottom line is if you are catching fish why change. If you stop catching fish you probly should change your lure. Try starting with faster moving lures like spinnerbaits and crankbaits, and then when the bite stops switch to slower moving baits like T-rigged plastic worms and T-rigged tubes. I hope this helps.

::)Sometimes when the bite stops, just a change in color or size will produce more strikes, but always try different type ob lure before ruling it out and also pay attention to the time and weather, these also play in as a factor. ;)

Bass do not have that good of memory. It will only take a slight change to make them bite again. Good Luck!!  ;D

I fish in ponds about everyday and i used to use a spinner bait , but after a while they stop hitting it,but ive been catching alot on swim baits and on sinkos.

If you use a worm or creature bait and they stop hitting it, you might want to try and work it different if they stop hitting it.  ;)

we have a small pond, and I've noticed that the bass quickly learn to recognize lures. If you throw something they haven't seen before, they'll usually tear it up the first 30 min or so using it. But then they figure out what's up and stop hitting it. It's difficult to catch them on that lure after that unless they haven't seen it in quite a while, or if they are in a particularly agressive mood.

If you are on an area and are catching bass and they turn off, then I would definatly try going to another lure before adandoning the area. If I am catching bass on a ledge with a crank, then I will come back with a carolina rig worked at a 45 degree angle to the lip and will normally pick up a few more. The best part is that if it is a good area, then it will normally "re-stock" itself with new bass in a few hours and the catching process can begin again. Nothing like culling in one spot when time is short.

I saw Clunn talk about this on a fishing program recently.  He was fishing a 50 yard stretch of bank in the '84 Classic.  The first 2 days he killed them with a Bomber crankbait.  The third day, he couldn't get a bite.  Just as he was about to leave the area, he decided to throw a Shad Rap.  He caught the heaviest stringer of the tournament that day and went on to win.  Slimmer profile, no rattles, but still a crankbait.