Sign in to follow this  
shynot

killing bass to eat

Hi all.  I am a 49 year old female who loves to fish.  I have recently caught bass in Lake Oroville, Northern California.  I have heard from a co-worker that bass is her favorite fish to eat.  I would like to try it.  I can catch, clean/gut and cook fish - but I do have a problem with getting the hooks out/holding them, putting them on the stringer and I don't know how to kill them.  I hate the thought of inflicting pain,  hurting them when I hold them, them flopping around, that blank eye stare, trying to hold on and carefully remove the hook, and put them on the stringer . . . but so far I have let all the bass go because they live so darn long on the stringer and I don't really know the "best" way to kill them.  The Park Ranger said club them on the head (if so, how?), my husband asks me if I am going to gut them "alive", I wonder about just quickly cutting off their heads, or should I just put them on ice in the chest to die?  This is not a joke, I really want to know the best way to kill them if I plan to eat them.   :-/

Just put them on ice in a cooler. They'll die shortly and you can keep them this way all day with no worries about spoilage.

I personally just filet them wether they're still flopping or not. :)  Usually just takes a couple seconds before it quits flopping.  Just have to ignore the god-aweful scream the let out ;).  Just kidding, RW's suggestion of ice is the best way.

i dont eat bass at all but i love eating crappie and wiper and i just filet them right out of the livewell. some of them are already dead by the time i get home but if they are still flopping around just hold them down and fillet them starting from behind the head and they will be dead in a second.

I would normally just fillet them without worrying about them being alive.  The ice suggestion is the best one I can think of.  That way they are "out of sight, out of mind" for a while.  They are not like the other popular west coast fish the salmon...they don't need to be clubbed and hung up and bled before keeping them and cleaning them.