Sign in to follow this  
Bass_junky

Fishing Drop-off's - techniques

I wanted to get opinions of how you would fish the following scenerio.

This particular lake is for power generation. Main channel depths are up to 180ft. & the flats are from 12-4 ft. deep (hydrilla weedbeds on the flats) which drop up to 50ft. The lakes level fluctuates daily when mid-summer approaches. Typically the lake is drawn down starting in the early afternoon (about 2-4ft drop), then back to full pool by the next morning. Then the process starts all over, of course depending on the power supply demand.

MY QUESTION: First, there are no shad baitfish in this lake, this is a NW region lake.  I know how I have fished the scenerio in the past, but would like to here the experience on this forum explaining how you would approach it and with what technique?

There has to be some type of foodfish in this lake, so baitfish lures should work.

As the water is at its highest in the AM, I would be fishing baits over, through and along edges of the grass at that time.  As the water drops, the fish will pull out off the grass or bury in it if there is enough water in it.  You could then either flip in/through the grass or fish the deeper edge of the grass.

Bass may also suspend off the drops over deeper water.

Brad

The primary forage for bass in this lake, in my opinion, is yellow perch.  I have had too many regurgiated perch floating in my livewell to think otherwise.  Bluegill are present as well as a population of whitefish.

Boy, I thought this was a forum full of experienced Bass fisher-people.

You guys & gals afraid to touch this thread?

Maybe this question is beyond most peoples thought patterns?

What gives, I'd like to hear some techiques from some of you.....

I would fish the drop between the flats (4-12 ft) and the 50 ft water, especially spots where the drop is dramatic, similar to a ledge. Position yourself so that you are fishing parallel to the shelf so as to maximize the time your lure is in productive water. I would fish deep diving crankbaits bumping the bottom and lipless cranks at somewhat less depth in search of suspended bass.

When you find the fish, slow down your presentation with a Gitzit, Kut-Tail, Kreature and maybe a C-rigged lizard.

That's how I would start if I were only fishing artificials.

BTW, I fish similar structure on the Tennessee River,  but I'm fishing for smallmouth and using live minnows. So, if you really want to catch some big fish, that might be the ticket.