Sign in to follow this  
Randy

Hot weather fishing

Iv'e just started bass fishing and was imediately hooked. Went out today and got skunked for the first time. I live in MN and it finally reached 90 plus degrees. Some hints on tactics for hot weather fishing would be great. Also the lake I frequent has dense weed cover.

This same thing happened to me on Wednesday. I got to the lake (95 acres) at 3pm and the water was 91 degrees. I spent the first hour looking for cooler water. When I couldn't find it I got took my portable water thermometer that I got at Wally World, hooked on a bell sinker and dropped it down until I found the comfortable temp of 75. The depth was just 5ft. I then picked up my jig and tossed it towards a point and started to work it out to 5ft where I caught a nice bass. Out of the next 10 casts I landed 4 fish. The rest of the day I concentrated on 4 to 6 ft. And had a great day.

Usually when the water gets hot you gotta go deeper...

Crankbaits

Jigs

Worms

Tubes

Try some Carolina riggin...

deeper water will be your best bet, as the other guys had suggested.  Recently its been 90+ degrees air temp and 80+ water temp.  i have found that alot of the smaller bass, are holding close to the shoreline in weeds and other cover, ranging from 2-4 feet mostly chasing baby luegill, and other small baitfish.  beyond that the bigger boys are lounging in 6-8ft.  close to weeds (as that is almost the only type of cover in the lake) and close to where the crawfish are hiding.  Ive been using Rapala countdowns (perch color) that i can countdown to the desired depth, and metal vibration baits (in reds) that i can retrieve just above the weeds.  Senkos have been working well weightless-wacky rigged (The senko gets hooked through the center with 1/0 or 2/0 hook tied directly to your line)  Ive also found that a small fishing thermometer is a big help when it gets warmer and youre trying to find places that the fish may be.  hope this helps.

Randy - where are you located?? Im in MN and yesterday a buddy and i slammed the Bass. . .

We went to a lake/s outside of Maple Lake called Mink and Sommers. . . My father had went there the day before(Saturday) and hammered the Bass too. We went with the feeling its way to hot, but oh boy were we wrong. My father had told us to use salamanders and Ring Fry's just outside the weed line throwing in . . . we got around 20-25 Bass within 2-3 hours.  We were out during the hottest part of the day 3-8pm and fishing was just incredible. . we never even threw any other bait besides those 2 plastics and had fish all day. These conjoined lakes were so weedy we had to clean the trolling motor every 30 yards, but the fish were just as thick. . .if you live around there at all give that lake a shot it's definitely worth it. . . just my .02

and in case you're wondering, all the Bass ranged from 2- 5lbs consistently