Sign in to follow this  
tracker17

bass hurdles

Can anyone give me some sight locations on building bass hurdles. Especially for the rivers. I have used some Ideas, like the bass bucket, from JandJhabitat.com and am trying them out now, but I would like some more Ideas.

If you will look at a site called "jandjhabitat.com" you will see what I mean. I have put down about 6 of what they call bass buckets. It's a  pretty cool idea. I just put it down this week so I don't know how well they work, but I should know soon. I was just wondering if anyone had any more info on this subject. These hurdles work well for crappie too.

wouldn't throwing some old logs into the water have the same effect?

I can't help you with rivers, but in lakes try to find a spot close to a depth change.

Anouther way to build them that I liked (I haven't tried it) is to build rectangular frames about the size of a pallet or you can use one of those.  Then mount some upright pieces of lumber, ceder bows pvc every foot so you have like 4 rows of 4 about 24 in. in height.  Since there are not any horizontal pieces they can be fished a little easier.  They can also be attatch together to form a reef.  You can also put out boxes in an area to attract fish.

The log idea is a good one and does work, but it is only temporary do to rotting over time. The good thing about using plastic hurdles is most depth finders won't pick them up. I really like the box and pallet idea. I may have to try that.