Sign in to follow this  
Topwater_Popper

Not Catching Anything

I've been fishing in an extremely small, man made, neighborhood lake and have been catching plenty of bass at 8:00 - 9:00 p.m.  They were all on jitterbugs.  The water visibility is about 1 inch.  I would guess that the temperature is about 75 degrees F.  They deepest part of the lake is five feet.  Then last evening I could not catch anything.  The bass were feeding on the top.  I used poppers, a Rapala, a jitterbug, and a jig.  I could not catch anything.  Any suggestions?  

a buzzbait or shallow diving crank bait works well for me in low light conditions. seems like the lures you used should work some. you might have to fish it with soft plastics if that doesn't work.

i go alot after work during the week. a typical day for me will be getting on the water about 5:30. the past few times i've been i will spend 30 minutes or an hour in the middle with deep diving crank baits. then i try some weedy banks with shallow crankbaits, spinnerbaits and senkos. i'll keep a buzzbait tied on during this time and throw it some. about the last 2 hours of daylight i fish mostly top water and crankbaits in fairly shallow flooded timber. the last 45 minutes or so i am almost 100% topwater fishing. this has been working well for me this summer, i've been catching some nice bass.

A couple of questions:

Who all fishes this lake?  Are there a lot of people fishing during the day?  If so, they may be shut down from the pressure (pressure would be multiplied due to the small area of the lake).

I, too have a small "lake" that I fish every evening that I can and I have found that on some days the bank is almost shoulder to shoulder and nobody is catching anything.  Other times the fish are just about jumping on the bank to hit the lure.  If the problem is pressure, you may find that a drop shot will work.  This was the case on my "lake" on Memorial day when everybody and their dog (literally) was out fishing.  Nobody was hitting anything and I managed to pull about 5 or 6 in on a drop shot.  That sent a lot of them packing and things eventually settled back down.

Usually nobody is fishing, yet there are a lot of people around the lake.  The bass are pretty much sitting right on the banks waiting for lures.  I hope that this answers your questions.