Sign in to follow this  
FishFeeder

Can't find the adult bass

Hello eveybody. New to forum.

I found this 2 or 3 acre pond in my neighborhood. It is not man made and has been there a long time. Not much cover or structure to speak of. The problem is this, I get lot's of hits but they are only juvenile bass-7in-8in long. I got most of these strikes along the shore line so I decided to try deeper water. No luck. Just juvenile bass. I have tried this pond on more than one occasion at different times of the day, again, juvenile bass. If there are juveniles in there, then there must be adults in there right? I have yet to find one. I have tries top waters in the evening, spinnerbaits, soft platics, etc... The only luck I have is with the plastic worms, and all I'm getting are the Kids, wheres the grown ups? Any help will be greatly apreciated.

It might be that the larger bass are few or that the lake is stunned. Small bass like how small fingerling size or 14 inch size? Try tp beef up your baits and see if that works out.(pssst. welcome to the forum)

One way to find out if there are big bass in there is go at night throw a topwater bait...but the pond prob need to be restocked and you need to sink sum brush or trees, sum type of cover.

when you have to many bass and not enough food the bass don't grow

The pond could have been killed and restocked or more likely, the fish have over populated and are stunted. There may not be any good bass in there.

I fish ponds a lot. What I look for is a pond that is at least four or five years old and was initially professionally stocked, privately or by the DOW. I fish some relatively small ponds, but they are still at least five acreas. More water supports more baitfish that can provide a better diet for larger predators. Also, bigger ponds usually have some structure that is totally missing in little ponds.

Bottomline: You probably need to find a different pond.

yeah I was kinda thinking the samething Rw They might have just stocked it.

On the other hand, if this pond is handy and you are catching fish, it can be a great place to practice your techniques so that when you do get to the pond/lake with bigger fish you will have more confidence and make a better impression on 'em ;).  There is a small pond near my home that I use for just this type of experimenting and it has paid off when I fish bigger waters.

The over-stocking thing is true,I witnessed it first hand.....my buddy bought some land that had about a 1.5 acre pond but didnt have any fish at all,more of a watering hole for the cows.Well,he bought the land and put 2,000 bass fingerlings in it,along with 10,000 minnows.....after the first year passed we were able to catch some that were around 6-7" and that was it.All the bass were the same exact size.Over the next couple of years the bass grew an inch or so and after that,they just quit growing altogether.He contacted someone with the Dept of Game and they explained to him that he needed to weed out about 75% of the bass in the pond.So we started catching them in a cast net and taking them to the James River and dumping them in.Now his pond has some nice ones in there and the upper James River has some good ones now too.

His pond was just over-run with bass and there wasnt enough food in it to keep them all growing and healthy.