Sign in to follow this  
Guest the_muddy_man

doin better shore fishin than the boat lately

Guest the_muddy_man

Hey I dont have a super boat Its a 12ft alum. Starcraft with a clunky old 30# thrust trolling motor but over the last 5 years Ive caught a good deal of ifish from that boat. Now granted ive been busy and havent fished ferom the boat a lot But for this year Im killin em in small ponds and strippin pits  The fish have been hammerin Rapalas,Bagley Small Fry Bream and especially 6" Manns Jelly worms in

motoroil and black. I have 4 fish this year over 3 lbs and I didnt get that many all the last 2 years. Ive been fishuing these spots for a couple of years I guess Im finally figurin them out.

strippin pits!  everybody used to bust my horns when i tell them about fishin them. glad somebody else  is a believer.

Guest the_muddy_man

Sorry to dissapoint you but the strippin pit is not a loccal nightclub ;D  Strippin are abandoned coal open pit mines. An ecological nightmare here in norteast PA however as the fish gods do their work Some of them filled with water and water fowl stocked them for us With bass,bream and pickerel(Eggas stuck to their feathers in the spring) they are usually very small in acerage and very deep and clear. And now that ive been at them for a while getting very productive

I belong to Sportsman club that is on one of those it's an old cement quarry near Allentown, Pa called Ranger Lake. It's deepest point is about 120' and ultra clear you can see down about 25' to 30'.

Chow

The Pa Angler

Nah...I was pretty sure it wasn't a night club ;D

Formerly from PA, I remember the slate quarries, etc., and often wondered about the fish content. Since they were largely private and considered very dangerous, I never checked them out.

Any special techniques for such deep clear water?  No structure or cover to speak of, right?

And the fish can thrive in those envormentally-troublesome things, eh?

We have some strip mines in this area ( the ones for coal have to be reclaimed and turned back into usable land.) all of our mineing is shallow in nature maybe a high wall of 200 or so feet. Back in the day that iron ore was still strip mined around here it has left the land scared and gouged with a few small resevors (maybe 1/2 acre) but from what I have seen there is so much alum in the water, that nothing can live. They are a really neat clear green color though. But I have read alot of posts about fishing them and they seam like they are hot spots at times. Wouldn't there be a lot of changeing structure in one of those?

We have a 17' fisher boat and its been sitting for over a year now. I fish mainly from shore its a fact the big bass are feeding close to shore in the low light conditions so early AM and fishing in the evenings till dark is the key from shore for the bigger gals. Now what else I have learned is that big bass are smart too they know the dangers of boats too they also learn our baits too so in fishing the same places every year we must change our baits often. Like what works this year (success) won't be so successful next year in the same spot. The fish actually record the wobble/vibration and they will recognise it again and won't strike. I have also found out that being stealthy from shore matters too we must be very quiet the least little noise out of the ordinary we make will spook these bass. Fishing from shore is no different than a boat its only backwards and i think we have an advantage from shore because of stealth. Walk up to the shore very softly too and don't step on rocks or roots from trees they send vibrations into the water too. When we do everything right we catch bass. I did it right one day and landed a 10lber at 5am so trust me they are out there but there very smart and hard to catch but if your stealthy enough you can and will do it. On good days i average 5 to 10 bass in about 2 hours of fishing. Trust me you don't need a boat to catch bass you need to learn the body of water were your fishing. A hummingbird portable fish finder will teach you how the bottom structure is made and where the dropoff's, flats and what directions the points go as they go deeper are too. It helps because knowing this tells us how to fish them correctly. It tells us where to cast at that point to go parallel to it rather than making many casts and spooking everything when one cast will do it remember stealth is the key so fan cast gently too don't crash the water too you will spook the big shy gals. Shore fishing gives me more freedom to move to another plave 1 mile down the road too quickly too. Plus i'm not far from the car were more baits /rods are too. We can have great success from shore if we fish it right!!!! BigBill

Its not luck in bass fishing its SKILL!!!!!!

Don't be afraid to cast at that point from different directions too. I use the shore to my advantage too i will hit that point from the right and the left as well as bring my bait straight up it. We must break the norm too think about it most fisherman will cast straight out, this is where i move a few feet down and hit the some spot from the right or left this can make the difference too "a different direction" of the lures path is also a key thing and it just may trigger a strike too. Work it over then move on but comeback later.

I keep a few rods baited too and sometimes a miss on one bait will land a fish on another bait so i switch rods quick to catch it. You can have an awesome time shore fishing too and so many miss out on this awesome action. You don't need a boat to catch bass all you have to do is to know the place your fishing and how to fish it.

I much prefer fishing in a boat,but I had my best day(14 bass-smallest one was 2 lbs;hooked 7 more but they threw the bait) fishing on shore.Caught these bass in 1 1/2 hours.

I too prefer fishing from a boat. I fish several very productive ponds from the shore. My main complaint about bank fishing is that the fight is usually so short.

Big bass usually head to the middle of the pond once they realize they're hooked. That part is fun! Sometimes they'll make a couple of runs, but they eventually head for the spinach. Once they reach shallow water, largemouth usually give up. Occassionally they will bury up in the vegetation and continue to fight. Sometimes I can get them out, sometimes I have to wade in. Either way, I always land the fish and get it released without harm. The battle is pretty short even with relatively light tackle and truely big bass. The bass just don't have that many options and they seem to tire easily.

In big water bass seem to have the upper hand. More options to get away, structure to run to and thick cover to hide in. It seems like big bass in big water know they can escape. I think they fight harder and longer. I like it, I like it a lot!

Guys your missing my point I'm hoping i can motivated some guys and kids to shore fish more and just maybe they will catch that fish of a lifetime or up their personal best or set a personal best thats the key to my post.  You don't need a boat to enjoy bass fishing.  I fish mainly were no boats are allowed and these places are unfished too.  And if the place is fished most don't know about bass fishing so they aren't throwing the right bait or using the correct presentation this gives guys like us an edge!!!!!                                     BB

Stop wishing and start fishing!!!!  Stay focused!!!

I love fishing in my boat but I'll tell you what, during the dog days of summer when fishing almost becomes a chore to do in the boat....I go hit the shallow creeks for smallmouth. It is always as blast on light gear and I'm usually in for 100 to 200 fish days. Fish are small but really fun. It kind of rejunvinates you and puts things into perspective.

I don't know about most of you guys, but when I first started fishing, and I mean really fishing it was all from the bank (shore).  Couldn't afford a boat when I was 12 yrs old.  One thing I know about bank fishing, that I need to do more of now, is that if forces you to slow down and work areas longer and try different baits.  Bank fishing is where I got my start.  I used to get my mom to drive me to the town reservoir and drop me off after supper and then she would come pick me up at dark.  Man those were the good old days!