Sign in to follow this  
farside

First year bass fisherman

I have questions for experinced bass fishermen. what do I look for when im out hunting bass ( besides grass). my method right now is to throw spinner baits and rattle traps but with summer here and the grass to the surface it hard for me to fish rattle traps, so I need to look at other options.

thanks

ray

Welcome to the forum!

Since it is summer the fish are moving deeper. I have been using a Carolina rig on the edges of the weedbeds and along deeper ledges. A C-rig allows you to both cover water and get your bait deeper.  For some reason a french-fry type bait seems to work best.

Thanks Rebbasser, you might be fishing the same water (choke canyon, mathis).

ray

Definitely Choke Canyon-that is my favorite lake.  Haven't fished Mathis.  If I have the time I'll go to Choke, but if not I head up to Canyon Lake just north of San Antonio.

I've talked to a few guys who have recently fished Choke and they were catching them in 15 feet or so along the edge of the weedlines.

look for any type of wood cover. then i pitch a jig or a tube around it.

if you dont know what pitching is here is some info http://bassresource.com/fish/flip&pitch.html

Try throwing some carolina or texas rigged soft plastic to get down in the grass bc thats were the bass will be in the summer when is hot and sunny

oh i forgot. TOPWATER!!! TOPWATER!!! TOPWATER!!!!

I have found in the weed beds running a Rooster tail around the edge. Yes a rooster tail (in line spinner) and usually if there is a bass or bluegill (or any fish resembling this) will strike at it. And than i might switch it up with a diff. lure.