Sign in to follow this  
Redtail

Confused about using the color "Red"

Cajun Red Cast Line says that the red line almost disappears in the water.  If the color red disappears so easily in the water, why are we using red worm hooks, red treble hooks and bleeding baits?  

It is the first color to dissapear from the spectrum as it passes through the water column. I think it starts to break up at about 10ft. In shallow water those red hooks might work out but as you get deeper, unnecessary.

also the light passes through the line making it blend faster.red hooks reflect light causing a red flash.

yea i think it is more in the line than the hooks like dodgeguy said. its like Berkley Vanish Transition. it is gold above the water, but disappears under it.

If you use a color selector you will notice that depending upon the water clarity different colors are visible at different depths. Red is a short wave color so it is one of the first to disappear in clear water, but on the color selector scale it shows up well at greater depths in off colored water. Don't know why but it does. And for the naysayer, I've used a color selector since the late 80's and at times they will help you find a color that will help you catch fish.

What once was old is new again.

I change all my trebles to red, After doing my own on the water research I've found that fish tend to grab a red tail hook rather than the non red belly hook when positions where reversed the fish went for the red belly hook rather than the non red tail hook do your own research and see if this holds true for you.

Chow

The Pa Angler