Sign in to follow this  
playmaker47

New Pond

I am going to go try this pond that i just got permission to fish. its really almost a small lake, because its almost 30 acres so i wouldnt really call it a pond. anyways i have a small 10' johnboat with a transom mounted Minn-Kota. anyways the lake has a ton of standing timber in it. from the shallows clear out the the deepest parts. there are also some laydowns along the edge, and a small island out in the middle with some laydowns on the edge of it.there are are a couple weedlines along one shore and i think they are probably in about 10 or so ft of water. i have heard that the lake is a great place to catch some giant crappie, but i am not looking for any crappie. i am looking for Big Mr. Bass. i havent heard anyone that fishes it talk about bass, so i am not sure how to start fishing this lake and how to find the fish.

i am looking for any info on how to fish this place for the first time. Thanks! :)

Easy answer; Pop-r and buzzbait, bluegill colored shallow crankbait, watermelonseed trickworms deadsticked, senkos, 1/16th ounce jig head with catfish fry colored sassy shad (black top,pearl bottom)

But to provide a more detailed answer, I need to know:

Where in the US ?

Water condition, color, and clarity?

Any signs of activity in shallows?

Feeder creeks?

One possible negative, crappie can have a negative impact on bass fisheries in small bodies of water if population not managed properly on a yearly basis.

Where in the US: Northwest Kansas

Water condition/color/clarity: the water is kind of a moderate, it isnt like crystal clear and it isnt muddy. you can see things down about 2-4 feet or so maybe a little more. im not sure what the water temp is now but the air gets 90 easily here in kansas during the days.

Any signs of activity in the shallows: ive only been aroun this lake a couple times. i havent seen any fish in the shallows, but ive seen some blue herons eating some smaller minnows.

Feeder Creeks: there arent any creeks going in it, but there is a very large draw that runs about 5 miles from the northern most part of the lake.

early in the day...I'd fish topwaters over the weeds,then cranks or spinnerbaits, then a senko or trick worm.

I'd hit the wood second with the same baits.

If nothing happens after awhile, downsize to a smaller bait.

there are some posters from Kansas here that may know the local waters better.

I have a Secret Pond that hasn't been fished much or at all since it was built around twelve years ago. I fish it for the bass that were originally stocked, the biggest bass in this water. I have had success with a 6" Senko, Ika, Fat Ika and jig with trailer.

The first day I fished it I took a friend who caught the biggest largemouth I have ever seen in person. This bass was caught on a 5" Senko, chartreuse with gold flakes.

I would suggest you focus on soft plastics and jigs. Fish for big fish, other guys probably aren't.

Thanks for all the help guys! do you have any opinions on the colors i could use?

Dark, I always fish dark soft plastics. Some times with red and/or black flakes, but always dark colors.

thanks for all the help guys :)