Sign in to follow this  
Mr._Zoonker

Help...After the Catch

I am pretty new at this, but so far I am having a blast.  I fish mostly from the bank, and after I bring the fish in to the bank, they are flopping around so violently that I can't get the treble hooks out of them at first.  I have to wait until the fish settles down so that I can remove the hooks.  Is this normal?  Is there a better way?  Thanks.

its pretty normal. usually once you get ahold of their lip they settle down pretty good

One way to calm them so you can get your thumb in its mouth is to gently grab on the outside of the gills. You don't want to hold the fish their very long and be sure your fingers don't go inside the gills which could injure the fish.

Just get a hold of that bottem lip and the fish will generally calm down. If the fish is flopping and spinning around grab the lure before u grab his lip

If the fish is flopping and spinning around grab the lure before u grab his lip

Hmmm..I would suggest grabbing the line rather than the lure for a "flopping and spinning" fish...unless you want to practice getting treble hooks out of your hand... 8)

What generally works for me is to gently grab ahold of the belly, they seem to never move when I handle them this way. Then, I can grab the lip.