Sign in to follow this  
Phishn_Phool

Floating Worm rigs

I have never tried these, so tell me how.  Do you actually fish them on top ??? how do you rig em ???what size hook, worm, line ???  Fishing technique ???  I have been catching a few fish on a pink super fluke, do you fish the worm similar in style and locations ???  I know I could probable find this info if I searched for it, but I enjoying the little things you guys do differently..Thanks for the info

CPR ;D

They don't actually float but they sink real slow. So you fish them very close to the top. T-rig them with a 3/0 or 4/0 worm hook. I use Zoom trick worms and Yum houdini worms. I use 10 to 15 lb. Trilene, usually use more of the 10 to 12 lb. range depending on what your throwing around. You fish it similar to a fluke. I'll twitch it and let it sink and so on.

Good luck.

If you want the worm to  "float" use a light wire hook. The sink rank is going to depend on how heavy your hook is. The only downfall of a light wire hook is that they can be bent easily, but not so easily that youll lose fish. Just keep an eye on the hook as you fish.

Yes, most floating worms are fished a few inches to a few feet below the surface.  I fish mine like Curado, and they are very deadly just before the bass have settled on nests, and also when they do spawn.  If you see bass cruising shallows in the late prespawn looking for potential nesting sites, toss the bubblegum worm ahead of them.  It is also possible to C-Rig and T-Rig them the same trick worms.

Tie a good quality swivel, add a leader of about 12-18" and tie your hook, rig your worm T-rig, the catch is: measure where the point should enter into the worm and add 1/4 to 1/2 inch to that spot and hook your worm there, the worm instead of being straight now it 's kinked, that kink causes the bait to dart strongly from side to side when you twitch it. The swivel is necessary to diminish line twist, if you don 't tie the swivel the line will twist for good. Cast to a spot and let the bait to sink, twitch, twich, reel in the slack over and over, when you get a strike DO NOT SET THE HOOK IMEDIATELY wait a couple of seconds while you reel in the slack, then set the hook.

Guest the_muddy_man

my most used rig; I use spinning equipment so on the tag end of my line I have a good quality blackorgreen swivel than 18 in of leader tied to  between a 1/0 to a 2/0 either wide gap or texas rig hooks in the lightest wire that the conditionswill allow I use either Zoom trick worms or Swamp crawlers 6" in green or black shades or my favorite 6 or 8" Manns Jelly worm in MOTOR OIL or Black Grape. Fish them weedless around anything that will hold fish Snake the worm like in an S swiming fashion just below the surface or use a small bit of split shot right before the hook to get it right at the weed edges

i use 4/0 EWG or round bend worm hooks. i use zoom trick worms or zoom u-tail worms. i use 10lb Berkley Trilene XL on spinning gear. i just cast it out and let it sink real slowly them i just twitch it.

I use Gambler floating worm lime green with a two black stripes, orange crush, pink, charteuse, white, Creme worm natural (night crawler), black, junebug, and black grape. Where these baits shine is scattered weeded flats. You can spook it or swim it or a combo of both. I fish them mostly in the upper part of the water column but sometimes they can be a heck of a drop bait on the edge of grass. Wacky is another great way to fish them. This is a great summertime bait.

I really don't know about any of these other worms that have been talked about, the 3X worm really float, i put my smallest bulet weight on one and it stayed on the top. I couldn't figure out how to use them so i just stopped.  I'm sure i'll try them again later when i get any chance.

Guest avid

fishing swimming worms like the zoom trick is allot of fun.  It's kinda the best of both worlds. You have the attraction of a soft plastic and the smash of a topwater.