Sign in to follow this  
jbunch

Weather Change questions

I just started getting serious about my fishing this year, and as such, am just now starting to track weather patterns and the effect on fishing.

I live in KC, MO and we have had a heat wave (like a lot of the country) for the last few weeks with temps around 100 and indexes cresting 115. Today we get light rain, no thunder/lightning, temps have dropped down into the seventies and tomorrow the forecast is 79/sunny.

What can expect to see today/tomorrow with rain ending this evening and then the weekend when it looks to be still below 90 for a high? Also, should I be planning to get some late fishing in tonight or try to sneak out tomorrow, or both?

Well, I'm in Omaha and we have been a little hotter than you and got more rain than you did.  I can tell you that with the 30 degree drop in temperature the fish "shut down" overnight.  I dropped by my "test pond" at lunch and managed only two bites fishing on the water inlet pipe that feeds the lake.  Usually after a rain the fish are fighting to get caught, but they were not active today.  The sun has come out now and the temp has gone up about 10 degrees, wonder what it will be like tonight?  Good question kcjefff, will be interested in some of your other responses.

KCJeff

I live in KC area also, going out today after work as long as there is no thunder/lightning.  Don't really care if I catch a lot, it will just be nice to fish in something other than 100+ temps.

I live in Central Kansas, and with the storms that rolled thorugh I slaughtered the fish with black and blue jigs when I got off work. Unfortunately I was only able to go for 1.5 hours but I still caught 5 fish, 3 of them were 15-16" the other 2 were 12" or less.

The aftermath of any heavy rain is real good for a short time if the creeks are running in fresh water.  I will be on a float stream tomorrow in eastern MO because the big boys come out to play when the river's on the rise. In lakes, the bass aren't so quick to bite all day long like they do in moving water, and the bluebird skies and high pressure may put a damper on things.  Still look for colored water in any creek arms to start with. But heck, get out and enjoy! You can't catch any sitting on the couch!

Thanks for input, I think I will take my daughter out to some local ponds. That way, if they have shut down, at least she can catch some bluegill.

kcjeff,

Bad news buddy, ponds don't work after a rain. I fish several different ponds, a lot! The rain and the runoff change the chemical composition of a pond for a day or two and the fish don't like it. Fishing before a storm or even during a rain can be good to excellent, but for a day or two afterwards, the bite stops.

I have never really noticed this on big water and I have never experienced this phenomena on the river. As Nick noted, fresh water can help river fishing, especially around the tributaries. It stirs things up, increases the current to some degree and gets the predators excited.

Oops! I just re-read the thread and wanted to say I wasn't dissing Will. I understand the post to mean he was killing 'em before and/or during the storm. If he is saying he slaughtered them AFTER the rain, well that's a different story and that's fine if he says so. It just hasn't ever worked that way for me.

would this apply to a small lake where its deepest point averages 10ft?

it makes sense why fishin isn't great after a rain at these particular places...

roadwarrior,

That is bad news. I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking of the positive affects of the cold rain cooling the water temps a bit to get the fish excited. Maybe I will have some luck at this one pond that sits up away from most of the runoff. Anyway, too nice to stay inside.