Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

late summer pond fishing

I have some questions about fishing a pond of mine this time of year. In the early season, i can catch tons of bass on senkos, tubes, and spinners. In the summer, I use the thick weed mat for frogs to catch lots of fish. But i cannot catch much in my pond this time of year. it is about 3 acres, and shallow with lots of weeds. T-rigs get snagged, along with jigs. The only fishable area is the surface and about 3 feet deep or so untill you hit dense weeds. I have had no luck on topwater, or crankbaits, except for rapala originals. help me!

I have 3 ponds around my house and am having the same problem. Super hot water ridiculous amount of weed growth. The only fish Ive been catching latley are on Senkos in the pockets of non weed infested water and on the weed edges. The top water bite is really fickle also. I miss spring, cleaner water, no weeds and lots of bass.

You could always try swimming a fluke above the weeds.  I've had good success with this in lakes/ponds   similar to the one you mention.

Texas rigs getting snagged! That must be some dense weads!

Solution: Fish the open water with a Popper or small spook type bait. Fish them slowly. No strikes, switch to 4 inch stickbait on 1/0 hook.  Rig weadless without wieght. Fish it slowly across the top of the weads. No strikes, rig the stickbait wacky style. Make sure to fish the wead edges, and shady areas. If you dont catch any the bass may be down in the super thick weads. My last resort would me a small worm T-rigged with a heavy tungsten bullet sinker pegged. I would try to penetrate the weads with that. Try to snag the bait on some bass's face. Good Luck!  

if weed growth and similar stuff is such a big problem, u might want to invest in some grass eating carp.  a professional would know how many for that size of pond, maybe 2 would be sufficient.  not sure.  but they would help a lot.

thats not to say weeds are bad, if they are so over grown though, then it would help.  however, they will supply oxygen to the fish, so some are good.

I have used buzzbaits, poppers, and jerkbaits, and i have had great luck with them in june and july. In fact, my biggest bass came out of this pond with a buzzbait. It was only 6 pounds, but thats quite a catch in michigan. Anyway, at this time of year, those produce minimal resullts. there are no longer any surface weeds, except in one corner, and i use senkos to catch them along the edge, but usually only one fish, maybe 2.

Ya i fish a pond with the same problem and yesterday i caught 11 in it you have to find open water or not as dense weeds and fish senkos texaposed and jerk baits and i just slay them all day long. hope this helps  :)

I was only back there for 2 hours. I caught one on a superfluke, and missed one on a buzzbait. However, I did find out that most of the weeds have seemed to clear out. I could drag a jigging spoon on the bottom and found some spots with little or no weeds, and other spots with tons of weeds. I will have to fish these spots better next time, since The water was murkey, and i couldnt see the weed growth, i assumed it was there.

Guest TNT_Hookers

I was having the same problem until I started making my own tackle.  A french spinner works great this time of year (oddly enough) for me.  I just caught 4 bass with one on Sunday.

The local pond I fish at sounds a lot like yours, so I made up some weedless treble hooks.  They work wonders.

8)

Try a Johnson Silver Minnow. It's been around a long time, and nothing goes through/across weeds as effectively. You need to dress it with pork rind, or a Mister Twister style tail, etc. One warning: it's hard to get a good hook-set, so don't get frustrated if you get a lot of misses.