Sign in to follow this  
John J.

Newbie Bass Information Needed

Hey everyone!

Well i am new to the forum and i am new to bass fishing. Me and my folks always fished catfish and i wanted to try some bass. Well here's the deal, i am of course a rookie at bass fishing and i am pretty embarrassed to say so  :-[ :-[ I live out in Orange County Virginia about 2 miles from Lake Orange (our local lake here in Orange County) and i was wondering...

My house is a few hundred yards from lake orange, we have a neighbor who had lake orange in his backyard (he lives on the lake), i tried to get permission to fish off his dock and point, but he was a total jerk, blah blah blah..

Anyway, further on down a road called "Lakeview Parkway" there's a nice cove. Unfortunatley the cove is only 1-2 feet deep. Is there any chance i will be able to catch any BASS in this cove? And if so during what time? I was thinking maybe during the spring when bass are spawning, but i want to be sure.

And can anyone give me any tips/hints on what to use as far as baitwise? Like i said i have no idea about bass fishing and i am a complete rookie at it. The biggest bass i ever caught was a 3 pound, 10 ounce bass at my parent's friend's pond...

I have no access to the rest of Lake Orange considering i only have my learner's permit which i've held for about a year....

Any help or information will be greatly appreciated! This cove does look good, it has everything bass need, cover, shade, plenty of vegetation, but it is just too shallow...

I will get into creating a path where our neighbors (other neighbors) gave us permission to fish off their land by the cove, and it extends to the point where the cove meets the body of the lake. I just need to clear that path through the woods (yeah the cove is covered by woods on both sides)

I normally fish from the shore on the cove, since it is the only place i can successfully fish...

thanks for any help!  8-)

Welcome to the forum.There will be bass in that cove sometime or another.Alot of it depends on water tempature and lake elevation(the water may be 1-2 ft. now but will it go up?)In the spring the bass may come to the shallows, before they actually spawn, to feed.This is when its alot of fun.When the water temps hit upper 60s to lower 70s,maybe even a little before,bass usually move to the shallows.If the water elevation rises during these temps that's when it should get good.I'm not sure how bass fish in Virginia.I diffanently recommend you reading some of the articles and taking notes about bass fishing on this website.Good Luck!  CJ

If the bass don't use it as a spawning flat they might use it for a feeding area. Early in the morning try a buzzbait or other topwater then later in the midmorning try a rattletrap, floating worm or soft jerkbait and fan cast the area. Around afternoon try to hit the shore cover and shaded areas with a worm or other soft plastic like a senko. If the area is used for spawning try a plastic crawfish or a tube and cast past the bed then work it to the bed. You want to drop it right in the bed and just shake it in one place. ;)

to the forum

Welcome to the boards 12 gauge!

CJBasswacker and Chris covered a lot of good information! One thing I'll add is when the water reaches about 50, you may want to try throwing a spinnerbait around that shallow cover too! I've caught some of my bigger bass in the prespawn with spinnerbaits! Read up in the article section and if you have some specific questions, "fire away"! That's why we're here to learn from one another reguardless of your skill level!

Hey 12 Gauge, welcome to the forum,

Fishing that 1-2 foot cove could produce bass once in a while and I wish you luck.  Don't be surprised if it takes a lot of trips to that cove to catch bass.  What I hope happens to you is somebody in your area asks you to fish with them on a regular basis.  Through the local school here I find out about kids interested in fishing and take as many with me throughout the year as I can, I hope the same happens to you and I encourage others who read this to do the same: introduce a youngster to bass fishing.  

That's awesome ranger50.People like that are what makes the world a wonderful place.I always said all you have to do is love bassfishing to fish with me.

Hey 12 gauge,

It's good to have you aboard! Welcome to the forum and you cmae to the right palce! Best forum known to any bass angler! (I know I looked) Anyway take it from me when starting out there are not alot of lures that you really need to have to catch lots of fish and big ones too. Simple lures like a straight back F-11 Rapala in plain black and silver are deadly any where there are fish, regardless of species. Simple inexpensive 1/4 oz. spinner baits would do great in that cove of yours, Try green and Chartruess tandem spins there. A weedless frog will be deadly later in the year. a few basic colored worms will do you alot of good. A 3/16 oz jig will give you some kicks (red and brown are good colors often over looked by most anglers). Above all else keep it simple and have fun.  Remeber that fishing is all about putting that lure in the right place at the right time! To better understand that look for info on bass behavior. I beleive we have articles like that on the resource. Don't get freaked out by that part about understanding their behavior, fish are predictable animals. Keep a journal, and invest in a jon boat and trolling motor (or freinds with both) or kick boat (with oars if possible). Obey state creel limits and remeber every fish you take out is one less fish to catch later! Well good luck Learn the basics of retreival for each lure (like twitching that Rapala or bouncing that jig just right) and the rest as they say will be history.

Take Care and God Bless,

Peter

Post Scriptus,

on the jigs and worms 1/8 to every five feet of depth is a good rule of how heavy of a weight you want to fish with. And Freinds make bad fishing days good and good ones better.

WOW thanks guys!  :o 8-) :)

Nice to meet everyone!  :D Glenn, i will check that out ASAP!

Peter, we do have a bass boat that me and my folks used to go catfishing, but it is a gas powered boat, Lake Orange doesn't allow gas boats, but we still have the trolling motor.

I had a talk with my folks last night and we've decided to purchase my sister's car for practice! Sweet! that gives me a ride this summer and spring when i want to go fishing! All i have to do is grab my sister or someone that wants to go fishing and we can drive over to the lake!!!  8-) :P

I know a little about bass fishing, etc. but i am more of a catman so to speak  ;) ;D i have a good book on catfish and i got a lot of information about cats in that book, so i will try to find a good book on bass  ;)

Again i really appreciate all the welcomes and great information! I already got rigged a small spinner bait for the spring. It's skirt is white, so i figured that no matter if the water is murky or clear the white will show through! or should i go with some other color?

I have rattletraps, bettle spins, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, plastic worms, crawdads and grubs, chug baits (or poppers) and all kinds of things in my tackle box ready for the spring!

Well i gotta go to class lol! I am on the schools computers!

God bless and again thanks for all the information and welcomes!!!  ;):):D 8-)

Guest avid

Howdy young dude. I'll tell you one thing fer sure. If you use that "rod" you picture in your avatar you will definitly catch a few. ;D ;D ;D :o ;D

Howdy young dude. I'll tell you one thing fer sure. If you use that "rod" you picture in your avatar you will definitly catch a few. ;D ;D ;D :o ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D just gotta buy some bass-shot instead of buck-shot  ::) ;D :D;)

Hey 12 gauge,  

Good call on the way you selected that spinner bait! Now you are thinking man. Keep this in mind if you had that idea, then how many other people did too? I am not knocking your idea, it is a great idea straight by the book. Think of the reasons that you chose that spinner bait color and check for other spinner baits with different colors that let you get the same visisbility. Break out of the mold every now and then because if alot of people had that idea then alot of fish have seen that lure.

Don't worry about the fact that you can't use a gas powered motor in that lake of yours. MY favorite small lake is the same way, of course the fact that it is part of Taladega National Forest probably has something to do with that. About four years ago I decided to take up Flats fishing and to start with I did not so much as bring a jon boat. So I learned to wade fish. In that lake of yours you could do the same thing, becareful however not to disturb the bedds that the bass will clear out in the next month. Strap on an old pair of tenni pumps (tennis shoes) and head out, SLOWLY and QUIETLY! Keep it on the down low. Remember to keep a low profile as well or learn to make long casts. If you can walk all the way around the lake and check for points, drop offs, old fallen trees, standing timber, protected bays, and such. Broaden your horizons on that lake of yours. By the way keep an eye out for mister no-shoulders. Especailly a cotton mouth, that is the meanest creature that God ever created, just short of a bream!

Cats as I remeber like to gravitate to areas of cover in the mid to deep ranges of the water. Bass do about the same thing. Bass however like to move into the shallows to feed during low light conditions. I beleive cats do the same thing ( I may be wrong, I rarely fish for cats). Like I said bass are predictable animals and once you have walked the edge of your lake then you have a variety of cover that you can choose from and then you are better able to catch fish on a more regular basis.

By the way a Rapala is all the "Bass Shot" you need (I admit I thought it was funny too). Let me stress again that you should always follow all state laws for fishing in your state. Two of my good freinds are game wardens and i would hate for you to meet any of their colleagues any time.

Well take care and God Bless,

Peter

Post scriptus,

Always feel free to post any questions you may have

our members love to give advice and it is nearly

always as good as it gets.

Tell you the truth Peter i put and chose that spinnerbait before i signed onto or even knew about this site! And mom and dad aren't bass fisherman (remember, my folks always catfish) my sister or brother don't know squat about bass fishing...i am the only one in the family who is really interested in bass fishing...

Yep i chose that bait out of my tackle box, and to be honest it is pretty much common sense to pick a bait that would stand out. I've pretty much got my tacklebox ready for the Spring, Summer and Fall, i've got worms, crawfish, grubs and lizards, tons of crankbaits, spinnerbaits, rattletraps, minnow imitations (swimmers), poppers (or chug baits), beetlespins, and many other baits.  :D

I've been reading the Tips and Hints guide from the front page and i've learned plenty of different 'presentations' or 'techniques' to use with different baits that i have. From what i know the plastic worm would be one of the difficult baits to present. I'd rather find joy in retrieving a bait and instantly having a bass whack it out of the water, or with poppers watch the bass nail it and create a huge splash! (which i've witnessed several times).

Now i made a statement i regret, when i made the first post i said i was a "complete rookie" at it, which isn't entirely true, to be honest i have some knowledge of bass fishing, just not much. I am more knowledgeable with catfishing than i am bass fishing. The only places i've ever caught bass was a pond (parents friend's pond when i caught that 3# 10 ouce bass) and also on the Rappahannock river where i actually caught a 2 in one bass (i hooked a bass with a plastic shad, and inside his mouth was a smaller bass he had started to eat when i hooked him, it was a nice bass probably 2 1/2 pounds or more, i caught him in a creek running from the main river, we had parked the canoes onto a sand bar from the main river and i walked a few hundred feet to a small pretty still creek and cast up near the shore and worked my way over a hole where he struck it)

I've caught several bass, not big bass but decent bass. Like i said the biggest bass i ever caught was the 3 pound 10 ounce bass, but i've had some that came close! Once i learn from this website, i am sure i will be able to catch some nice bass! From the sound of it, you guys catch NICE bass (4-10 pounders!) I would love to get one on the end of my line. That's why i went to catfishing, not only can you sit back and relax watching the line resting on the bottom until you get a strike (called 'lazy man fishing') but when you get a nice size catfish (8+ pounds) there's a nice fight to be happy to play!  :D;):) 8-)

I take the thrill in fighting a nice fish, which is why on the 29th of April (10 days after my birthday) this year, we (my mom and dad) are going Striped Bass fishing in the Chesapeake Bay! I can't wait, we are going to have fun on that, can't wait to fight a nice 30+ pound striped bass!!!!!!  :o 8-) 8-)

Well anyway enough rambling lol, better get back to my "homework"  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

God bless  :)