Sign in to follow this  
Redtail

Carolina Rig Tip from Dave Stewart (Guide in KY)

I went to the Sportsmens show in Worcester, MA last night and met a guide from Kentucky who also brings the Hawg Trough to the different shows around the country.  He was talking about various techniques and patterns he has used over the years.  He started talking about Carolina Rigging and how he and most anglers do not use the correct method.  He said most anglers will fish it like a Texas rig and hold the rod fairly upright on slack line and jig it once in a while.  He said you have to be pretty lucky to ever know you have a fish on, most times the fish will pick it up swim a little and spit it out and you won't ever know it.  He was told the key to Carolina Rigging is keeping the rod tip close to the water on relatively tight line so you can feel the weight and use more of a dragging motion to move the bait verses jigging it.  This technique will make it very easy to feel a strike.

I don't Carolina Rig much, but I just thought I would pass this along to the members on this forum in case it might be of some help!

Jimmy Houston was also at the show and I talked with him for about ten minutes - he seems like such a regular guy and I have been a fan of his for so long that I hated to hear about that hunting incident - I just hope there was more to it and it isn't as it appears.

So you got to meet Dave.He is a good guide here on KY.His C-rig tips are right on as far as I am concerned.Whenever I fish a presentation that is on bottom I always try to keep my rod low and out in front of my shoulders and hips and keep as much slack out of my line as possible.There is however a fine line in slacked line.I like to be a little lose so that the fish don't feel me before I get a chance to set the hook.That's just my opinion anyway.

I know Dave also.  Never fished with him but has given me may tips and locations over the years.  Has a Kentucky Lake fishing report @ kentuckylake.com .

Kelley

He's right about that.I do everything right except for one thing.The way I hold the rod.What you just said describes me to a T. I catch a few good bass on a c-rig,but I'm probably missing just as many.

I have even caught a couple bass on the fall.  It was really hard to know something was there.  I just realized that it didn't feel quite right and set the hook.  I was amazed that the fish would hold on to something that heavy.  The two I have caught that way were really small, too.

Info that also reminds one of the importance of feel in fishing a C-rig. Even after I mostly broke myself of holding the rod wrong (can a guy that fishes a jig and pig alot ever completly break themself?) and forcing myself to drag rather than lift and drop I still didn't start to have the success I should have until I went to a rod with some backbone but that still had decent sensitivity. Then I smartened up and went to a main line using Super Braid and a flurocarbon leader. First time out I was amazed at what I was feeling including fish. I find that the more I can feel of bottom with my rig the better I am at holding the rod correctly and fishing the rig right. So if your struggeling with this rig up so you can feel what you are doing and you will do better all around. Least it has helped me.

Just to add a little bit.......I use braid on a carolina rig too and have for many years.The braid on a c-rig has multiple benefits,especially if you make really long casts to cover water.

1. No stretch means a hard,quality hookset

2. It is super sensitive which enables you to detect a strike easier

3. If you get hung up,most times all you lose is the carbon leader and your hook

4. You can read the bottom easier (rock,mud,sand etc) all have a different "feel"