Sign in to follow this  
carlito77

Texas Rigging - Burying the hook

Hi,

Here's a bit of a newbie question.  Everytime I see a fishing show or read about Texas rigging, they always bury the hook to make it weedless.  When I go fishing I always set my rig up the same way but I always second guess the concept and end up exposing the hook to make sure I can set the hook.  Of course that takes away from it being weedless, and I end up getting snagged a lot.  My problem is that I just can't understand how the bass can bite hard enough to poke the hook the rest of the way through the soft plastic.  How does the fish actually accomplish this?

Thanks

Not even sure this is a newbie question as I have seen some pretty good fishermen second guess themselves. If you only just barely put the point of the hook under the plastic and are using the new generation of hooks we have available to us I doubt you will ever have a problem setting the hook on a fish. I will some times even fish smaller worms T rigged weedless on line as light as 6 pound test and using a 1/0 or maybe 2/0 Gammy EWG I can get a good consistant hookset.

It is all about how deep you burry the point. It only has to be ever so slightly under the surface and if you have it right you will occasionaly find that the point will work it self out into an exposed position simply from the pressure of being dragged accross the bottom. With heavier gear/line and thicker cover I don't even hesitate putting the point in deep enough to allow me to drag through brush piles and stumps. With the hook in that deep I want a stout rod and good line and will put some beef into the hookset but I still have little trouble getting a hookset. So don't worry rig it weedless and fish the thick stuff.

I usually use the hooks that have the right angle bend by the eye of the hook, with a pretty wide gap.  I know that everyone recommends the Gammy hooks but there are so many different kinds that I get a little overwhelmed.  I ussually fish Senkos and floating/swimming soft plastics.  Any recommendations on hooks?  Maybe a link to the product on the bps website????Thanks again!!!!

Bury the hook into the middle to keep it weedless. The fish has nothing to do with it. When you set the hook, the hook comes through the plastic automatically. Try this. But don't pull real hard. Texas rig a worm. Close your left hand around the worm simulating that it's in the fishes mouth. Grab the line with your right and start pulling while keeping the worm gripped in your left hand. The hook will pull through that plastic. If you yank on the line hard enough, you will put that hook into your hand. Don't yank on the line!!! Using wide gap hooks increases your chance of hook sets also. I hope this helps.

TexasRig1.GIF

I use EWGs for basically all my worm fishing, so after I poke the hook through the top, I just barely skin it into the top of the worm. To answer your question; a sharp hook and a Bill Dance hookset.  ;)

I usually expose it and then lightly skin hook it. I only do that because I lack confidence in doing it completely weedless, but I'm going to try "rattletraps" experiment. Seeing it with my own eyes always works.

If you are more comfortable with skin hooking, and you are not getting hung up a lot, stick with it. Skin hooking does allow the hook to come out faster.

The mouth of the bass is acting something like a crusher. It's attempting to crush whatever is in it's mouth. As you pull the line to set the hook, the line and hook slide right through the mouth and the hook will automatically penetrate the soft plastic that the bass's mouth is clomped down on.  One of the idea's of the old tru-turn style hooks was that they turned themselves upwards as the bass closed it's mouth down and you didn't have to jerk the hook very hard because the hook was turning itself within the mouth of the bass and setting up to penetrate any soft tissue within the mouth.  

The only time you may have a problem with hook penetration through a worm might be using too small a hook for the thickness of the worm.  In this case, the worm can actually ball up on the bend of the hook and not cause proper hookpoint exposure for a proper hookup.  You'd have to be fishing a really small hook, size 1/0 or smaller on a pretty thick worm for this to be a problem though.

For me if I am using a worm that is super soft then I don't skin hook it if the worm is not so soft then I skin hook it or if the worm has a lot of bulk like a creature bait or a soft jerkbait I skin hook it.

when the fish bites and the mouth is shut you set the hook.this pulls the bullet weight out of it's mouth but it's mouth is still closed.with an ewg hook the hook is way bigger than the opening the bullet sinker passed through.it hits the fishes mouth and the bait slides back and the hook point pops out and into the mouth of the fish.as you pull it drives into the mouth for a good hookset.

Guest bigtex

I use the Ultra Lock Hook made by Mustad.  It has a V-shaped bend that secures the plastic bait and it also has an extra wide bend.

I rig a worm sometimes so that the hook doesnt even come out of it with a straight shank hook, or jighead. You put it into the head at an angle, then back into the body, but not all the way through. It's stiff weedless, and the hook is in position to come into the mouth of a fish. It is a little different than what most people use, a veteran angler that uses straight shank hooks could probably explain it better

Guest avid

Let's not forget the stretch in the line and the play in the rod.  If you are consistantly having trouble setting the hook through a worm, the problem may be the hook, but there are other factors.  Timing is a biggie.  You have to reel the slack out of the line and set the hook before the bass realizes he is being fooled.  If your timing is perfect the other factors really become secondary.  But in the beginning, use a high quality  EWG hook I use owner), braided line (powr pro) on a med hvy or hvy rod.  I guarantee you that you  will set the hook on some fish who will actually "fly" over your head.  It's pretty funny when it first happens.   Then you can start to lighten up as you perfect your technique.

" I guarantee you that you  will set the hook on some fish who will actually "fly" over your head.  It's pretty funny when it first happens.   Then you can start to lighten up as you perfect your technique. "

ROFLMAO!!!yeah,i've done that before!!!

59-10.gif

Sugoi from GY

The only way I rig a T-rigged hook is "Tex-skin-on-Top" and I'd show you an image of it from another site but it won't show here?  Here is the articl.  Scroll way down the pg to see the image and a description.  It works and it sticks 'em.

And, if you're using a stretchy line(Iron Silk--what a misnomer), you will miss half of your bites IMO.

Dan

If you are really worried about the hook not going through, you should try some hollow baits, like tubes and some kinds of crayfish that are hollow as well.  The walls on these baits are so thin that a sharp hook would go right through.