Sign in to follow this  
BiGame

flipping and pitching assistance

Hey folks, I seem to have a small problem with my F and P.  My technique seems great but my distance that I cast is sub par.  Im using a pfluger trion w/ a 7'6" BPS rod. (soon to be replaced with a 7-6 Daiwa "Green handle".  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Oh, Im using 17lb mono also.  Thanks guys!

Well, neither are long range techniques... and flippin is supposed to be very close. Pitchin' can be done at some distance but will seem close compared to other casting. All it is, is an underhand cast that stays close to the water in flight, allowing you to thumb the spool to "set" it in the water quietly.

If your technique is good, than maybe your expectations are too high. Some of us have been pitchin' for 20 years or more and don't get proficient at long distance. If you can pitch accurately and quietly to say... 40 or 50 feet, you probably can outpitch most people. I can use the same motion and "pitch" well beyond that... maybe 100 feet or so - but since at those distances I can't do so accurately or real quietly, I consider it underhanded casting, not pitchin'.

Practice will help if you take the time to. If you have a boat, go to a lake that has boat houses or docks and practice there... you will soon realize that if you are accurate and can "set" the bait down quietly, you don't need much distance at all.

Edited at ask:  What do you think is a subpar distance?  

if you want to pitch furthur you need to loosen up your brakes to almost free spool.this will require tons of practice.the funny thing is the more distance you try to get the more backlash you will get.pitching is a very soft smooth underhand cast.and let's face it,a 1/2 oz jig is going better than a 1/4 oz jig no matter how good you are.

if you want to pitch furthur you need to loosen up your brakes to almost free spool.this will require tons of practice.the funny thing is the more distance you try to get the more backlash you will get.pitching is a very soft smooth underhand cast.and let's face it,a 1/2 oz jig is going better than a 1/4 oz jig no matter how good you are.

Well said, I have my brakes completely off. (as loose as they will go)  I will say this though, I have much better control with 1/4oz then 1/2oz,  I can get all the distance I need/want out of even 1/8 (of course, with the trailer it's a 1/4 anyway but you get the idea)  I'm much more smooth and quiet with the lighter stuff.  I hate to say that the rod has anything to do with it but it really can.  Many people think a big heavy flippin stick is a perfect pitchin' rod... I used one for years but I became 10 times better at pitchin' when I got a different rod for it.  I still use very heavy backboned rods, but prefer something with a lighter tip and also have gone down to 6'6"-6'10' (Loomis mbr785 and an All Star 8 power).  The shorter rod helped more than the lighter tip but the 2 together have increased my accuracy, range and stealth.  The shorter rod will also allow you to keep the rod at a more verticle angle, helping accuracy and quiet presentation.

Practice will help, on the water practice will help a lot more.

Flech,I do the same as you, down to the weight.I pitch tubes and creature baits with a 1/4 ounce weight pegged.I get all the distance that I need,and I can control it much better than with a 1/2 ounce weight.As you stated ,loosen that spool and turn off that braking system.You'll get all the distance needed.As far as flippin', it's not meant to get long distances.It's for close up work.BiGame,you just have to practice your pitchin',and be sure to keep your thumb on the spool or you'll get a nasty overrun.

i pitch lighter jigs with a 6-6 mh all star im10 x rod (3/8 and under).i pitch heavier jigs (1/2 and up) with a 6-10 all star big boys im10x  pitching stick.